Throttle Cables

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey66

Reaction score
Maybe somebody here can help me out.On my 82 Gl which has of course two throttle cables(push/pull),I noticed after I put the motor back in and was hooking everything back up that the bottom(push/return)cable hangs down to far.When I roll on the throttle it comes up and falls into its guide and works perfecty,BUT, is this normal?It's not even adjustable as far as I can tell.Actually it would work WITHOUT that cable bacause the return spring closes the throttle.Any thoughts/ideas/comments?

Smokey66":ann9p2x5 said:
Maybe somebody here can help me out.On my 82 Gl which has of course two throttle cables(push/pull),I noticed after I put the motor back in and was hooking everything back up that the bottom(push/return)cable hangs down to far.When I roll on the throttle it comes up and falls into its guide and works perfecty,BUT, is this normal?It's not even adjustable as far as I can tell.Actually it would work WITHOUT that cable bacause the return spring closes the throttle.Any thoughts/ideas/comments?

There should be an adjuster down at the carb area older for the sheating.. also you may need to thread the silver bend (you need the cable free of the carbs and hanging) out a bit and then tighten lock nut back into the handlebar starter housing/throttle.clamp ... (I haven't had my throttles out on a bike in years.. and this is something I remember with another honda)... and you need to make sure that the cable is run correctly.. shorter path can give the longer cable indicated..

I took a look at both my '83's. Neither one has any adjustment on the push cable.
The slack in that cable is determined by how much the threaded metal piece is threaded into the housing at the grip like Joep described.
A slight play is better than too tight but it shouldnt "hang down", should be only slightly slack.

My throttle cable is adjusted at the throttle and the other adjustment is under the tank in the middle of the cable forward of the real tank by the voltage regulator.

Well I've already got it backed out all the way where it attaches at the carbs,but it still hangs down about 2(!)inches!Maybe it's still the original cabel and it's just streched?Damn,so I AM the only one with this problem!The brackets not bent either,so I'm stumped on this one. :head bang:

nope,this thing is/was 100% original wenn I got it.I looked at a new cable and it LOOKS exactly the same.I may end up removing mine and measure or lay it along side another for compairison.Its also routed just like the Honda Manual describes.Maybe I'll go out later and have another look,but its pretty cold here right now so I don't know.I was just thinking(hoping)that someone else has had this same problem and that there was a "quick-fix" for it.It works perfectly but it bugs me knowing its not like its supposed to be,you know what I mean?

I would think that cable must have been replaced with a non OEM at some time because I dont see any way there could be anywhere near 2 inches of slack in it.
has the cable always had that much slack?

I ordered 2 cables a while back which were suppose to be the exact original replacement and they were too short, so it does happen.

mine also has no adjustment in the middle.And now I think your right;it's just too long/wrong cable.I'm ordering a new one right now.

Dan you were right;not the right cable.It looks like the PO left the outer part and replaced the inner(cable itself) with one that is too long.The nipple on the carb end looked original, BUT the other end had been crimped on.Guess he was trying to save money.....or something.

Latest posts