Time fer tire!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Got the new rear Dunlop E4 ordered for the 1500. Should be here Wed/Thurs. Was going to put new brake pads on while I had it torn down this far, but...the rear rotor is sooo messed up, I had to break down and order a new rotor, too. And...just to make things more interesting, I wanted to check the oil level in the diff after getting it all cleaned up, since I have had gear oil leaking a little. Couldn't get the damn plug out, even WITH the special wrench I bought specifically to remove that plug. Resorted to the old favorite, hammer, with a punch plug loosening method....now....I also have a new diff plug ordered....🤬
Hopefully, everything will be here by next weekend so I can get it put back together Saturday/Sunday....depending on how friggin hot is gets.

44809-tire5a.jpg

44812-tire7a.jpg

Just a lil bit of wear....still got a couple more miles left on it...
44808-tire4a.jpg

44810-tire6a.jpg

44807-tire3a.jpg

44814-tire2a.jpg

Chevy exhaust manifold spreaders work well to spread the tire beads apart so I could get my fat hands down in and scoop up the Dynabeads to re-use.
44805-tire1a.jpg

44813-diffpluga.jpg
🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

Last edited:
New Dunlop arrived today. Dated Feb. 5, 2022. Will mount it Saturday, and hopefully the new rotor will be here by then, and I can get it all back together this weekend.

New tire mounted, balance beads installed, new rotor arrived & installed....not the correct rotor... 🤬
Tire mounted on clean rim.
34817-a911364afb90d52f34a19f3ea6762e1a.jpg

Using electric engraving pen to rattle the beads into the valve stem...works really well.
34816-59de3dce5754fcb5f887b32cd5a9fe20.jpg

New rotor with a few holes not holes at all...
34819-c7bc40b376fe41024a5d27934dac7e76.jpg

Was able to use a drift punch to knock the extra material out.
34820-0b5e432796eefc0e0232f5298feea25d.jpg

Rotor mounted
34818-ddc6cfb46effc60c9c31fb9ff299f0d4.jpg

Rotor is not machined to fit the GL1500 Goldwing...it has no off-set, so it rubbed against the brake caliper bracket...hard. Checked and made sure the washer was in the right location for the bracket, but the rotor rubbed hard enough to almost lock the rim down tight. If I put the washer that goes on the outside of the bracket next to the collar on the wheel side, it centered the rotor in the bracket, but....that's not how the durn thing is s'posed to be. The new rotor is basically flat across the faces, where the OE rotor is not. The OE rotor is stepped down in the center, thinner than the braking surface. That is what is throwing it off to the left, and hitting the bracket. The pics of the rotor I bought SHOWS it to be a stepped rotor, same as OE, but what I got is not. Now I have to come up with a shim to install to get the bracket moved to make it work. A lil frustrating, to say the least. Since the rotor has now been scarred from rubbing on the bracket, I can't send it back...

FINALLY, the weather allowed me to ride the Wing today! Rotor does not seem to be rubbing at this point, but I do have some shims I am going to install this weekend to attempt to get the caliper bracket centered on the rotor. Brakes worked fine tho, no issues. I also adjusted the master cylinder pushrod on the rear master, so now I have waaay more actual pedal than before. As it was before, my foot was bottoming out on the floorboard before the pedal was fully mashed down, so the rear braking suffered a bit. Now, it feels much better, and stops mo bettah too! It's been over a month since I've been able to ride, with either the temperatures being over 100deg, or, recently, the rain. Today was perfect!

Got the shims installed today, so the caliper bracket is more centered on the brake rotor. Much better! I used some steel shims for a Muncie 4 speed transmission to do the trick. They are the correct OD, and just a smidge larger ID than the axle shaft, but not enough to be an issue. The OE washer that goes between the caliper bracket and the swingarm measures around .120" thick. I had moved that washer to the other side of the bracket to keep the bracket from locking down the rotor, but it was really too thick...it moved the bracket too far to the left, making the brake pad rubs a little all the time. The steel shims I used, using 2 of them, measured out to .060"...half of the OE washer. With them installed, the bracket sits almost perfectly centered over the rotor. Got it all back together, and everything seems to be good.(I painted the steel shims with aluminuminum paint to help keep them from rusting too quickly.)