Tire Crack!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I was doing a standard check of my bike before leaving work today and I spotted something on my rear tire. I looked closer and low and behold, I found a crack in the tire down in the tread! :swoon:

This is a Bridgestone tire and it has 13,428 miles on it. It also looks like I am getting close on the wear bars. (Seemed like it looked real good about a month ago?) I assume that riding on it risks a blowout at this point? :nea: :Doh2: :nea:

Any opinions?

Attachments

• Tire Crack 2.JPG
    Tire Crack 2.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 269
  • Tire Crack 1.JPG
    Tire Crack 1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 265
:shock: :eek: :shock: :eek:
YA....I'd be real leery of riding that thing very hard....or at all! :nea:
My rear tire almost came apart on me, and I didn't even notice it until it was dang near too late. Luckily, I DID see it in time to stop riding until I got a new one....
phew.gif

mcgovern61":6uik0gut said:
I was doing a standard check of my bike before leaving work today and I spotted something on my rear tire. I looked closer and low and behold, I found a crack in the tire down in the tread! :swoon:

This is a Bridgestone tire and it has 13,428 miles on it. It also looks like I am getting close on the wear bars. (Seemed like it looked real good about a month ago?) I assume that riding on it risks a blowout at this point? :nea: :Doh2: :nea:

Any opinions?

I think due to the marks on the tire above the cut that you may have run over something sharp that cut the rubber when it hit the tread groove.
I wouldn't ride that tire any more :Doh2:

I found the same thing during routine maintenance last year, 'cept the crack(s) went all the way around the tire. Relegated to parts bike duty now.

Attachments

• tire_crack.JPG
    tire_crack.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 237
BigAndrew":28daxr0h said:
Man that thing is dry rotted to hell... How old is that tire?
Well, 3 years and over 13,000 miles on the tires (garage kept and mostly out of the sun except during riding).

How long on the shelf before purchase??? Good question! :shock: :eek: :headscratch:

I am confused though, I expected at least 15,000 miles out of these tires before replacement (and based on the wear bars, the rubber may have made it if it didn't crack). But it seems that a lot of members here are only getting 5-6K on their tires? What should be the expectation? :headscratch:

thewhiterhino":c72snw61 said:
I think due to the marks on the tire above the cut that you may have run over something sharp that cut the rubber when it hit the tread groove.
I wouldn't ride that tire any more :Doh2:
Good observation! No, I am not riding on it. :crying:

I am going to try to get a new tire ASAP, this is the best riding season all year in our area!

Man that tire LOOKS like its 10 years old!Check the production date on the tire;I`ll bet it`s at least 8.I have used older tires that I got real cheap on e-bay on one of my sport bikes and can tell you it`s just plain dangerous!After a couple years,the stuff that keeps the rubber soft is gone,evaporated.Very dangerous when braking on wet roads or just going around a corner at "normal"speed.On my 120 hp sport bike I had to SLOWLY roll on the throttle or the back tire would immediatly break loose and spin even at 70 mph!I almost killed myself as I opened the throttle too soon coming out of a corner and the back end headed toward the outside of the corner and then became grip again......HIGH- SIDER....PAIN....HOSPITAL.....I had to learn the hard way. :fiddle:

I bought an '81 F-150 a few months back with some pretty dry rotted tires on it, I just checked 'em for the date code on the sidewall and it says 3203 which is August 2003 :headscratch:

Smokey66":3tz47zvj said:
It`s molded into the side of the tire.
https://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html
I hope I did this right so you can click on the link.........yep,it works
or this...
https://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/R ... /tires.asp
or this...
https://www.ehow.com/how_4621263_read-ti ... codes.html
Thanks! That is very interesting. according to the production code on this tire, it says 0907. (9th week of 2007) That means this tire was made around March 2007 and sat on the shelf until I bought it in November 2007. (Is that an unreasonable amount of time on the shelf?) I can't complain, I did get over 13,000 miles on it.

That third link states that a motorccle tire over a year old should be replaced! Apparently they lose thier moisture content in the rubber fairly rapidly and will develop cracks when that happens! :shock:

dan filipi":1amzzi89 said:
Over a year old replace!?

I couldn't afford to ride if I followed all the rules.

Really every year? I usually only get about 1.5 years out of a tire anyway. I wish the swing arms on these bikes were wide enough I would like to go to the darkside on mine

Latest posts