Tire Crack!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wait tom and you can be second to the darkside ....im diffinutly almost there .....the only thing thats got me right now is that the rim on the 1100 is only three inches it needs to be 3 1/2" or bigger .....ive got the swingarm almost totaly modified ...i still have to deal with brake rod issue ......im not sure i can squeeze that car tyre down to 3" ....but im going to give it a shot when i can ..... :mrgreen:

joedrum":34r5xdgq said:
just wait tom and you can be second to the darkside ....im diffinutly almost there .....the only thing thats got me right now is that the rim on the 1100 is only three inches it needs to be 3 1/2" or bigger .....ive got the swingarm almost totaly modified ...i still have to deal with brake rod issue ......im not sure i can squeeze that car tyre down to 3" ....but im going to give it a shot when i can ..... :mrgreen:

Ah man if you get it fiqured let me see okay. I would love to darkside but yep the swingarm and brake rod are an issue and the rim well I just don't know how to get around that one.

Come to the darkside, We have cookies LOL :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I think 5-6 years is max recomended life expectancy,good tread or not.What stuns me is getting 13000 miles(!) out of a back tire!What am I doing wrong?I put a new Bridgestone BT 45 on not long ago and after 5000 KILOMETERS(! A kilometer is less than a mile folks for those who didn`t know) it`s done dealin.I do ride somewhat aggressivly sometimes but it`s not like I`m doing burnouts or anything. :headscratch:

Smokey66":f345g8fk said:
I think 5-6 years is max recomended life expectancy,good tread or not.What stuns me is getting 13000 miles(!) out of a back tire!What am I doing wrong?I put a new Bridgestone BT 45 on not long ago and after 5000 KILOMETERS(! A kilometer is less than a mile folks for those who didn`t know) it`s done dealin.I do ride somewhat aggressivly sometimes but it`s not like I`m doing burnouts or anything. :headscratch:
The front tire has the same mileage on it, but no signs of cracking. It also looks better than the back one for wear. I do not do burnouts or anything like that and I do not have any twisties to speak of around here (except driving around cagers that cut me off in traffic). When on the highway, I stay up at 72-75 MPH. Maybe these Bridgestones were just good tires to begin with? :builder:

I cannot find any other cracks on the tire and the front tire has no blemishes at all. Maybe I did run over something at some point that caused this crack (or maybe it is a tear?). Either way, I am not riding right now and I am not able to get a replacement tire right away. :crying:

Well, I am inclined to go with the same Bridgestone S11R 140/90H16 that was on the bike. I did get over 13,000 smooth miles out of it and upon closer inspection, it does appear that I ran over something. Dennis Kirk has them for $78.99 which is $41.75 cheaper than I paid for it back in November 2007 from Honda!

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... medium=cse

Any comments?? :music3: :ahem:

I got the Bridgestone from Dennis Kirk! (Great deal!) :clapping:

I was shocked at how worn the rear tire really was compared to the new one which is the same tire! :eek:
Even though it was not down to the wear bars yet, there was quite a bit of tread gone. I think 10,000 miles should have been the limit.

After the tire was off, I inspected the crack and confirmed that is was just a tear. :evil: I could not push a screw driver or any object through the hole and the rubber was still pliable; just kept hitting the radials. Good to know that it was not in too much danger of blowing, but how would I have known otherwise? :swoon:

The new tire runs real nice!!! (Although the temps here are in the twenties with a wind chill at 21 degrees standing still!) Just back from two weeks in Seattle and now will be heading to Rio Vista, CA for a week. (Just no time to ride!) :(

Thank you for the info on the Bridgestone tires. That is a good price. From what I have read it seems our wheels are not suited to a car tire.

At the price you got from Dennis Kirk the Bridgestone seems like a good choice.

I would guess riding style/tire pressure monitoring verus the different payload on a daily/weekly basis we all might get that kind of mileage out of a rear tire, but if I was checking tire pressure verus payload that often I would be that guy that sits in his office playing with my calculator :laptop: instead of ridin :music:
just my .02

there are code numbers on the tire like this..
tire codes.jpg
tire info.jpg

If I can get 10,000 miles on a rear tire I will be very satisfied. I am going to order the Bridgestone tires. When I purchased a new motorcycle in 1999 it came with Bridgestone ( can remember the specifics ) but got only 5000 miles due to cupping. Now was that the fault of the tire or improper inflation? I was riding hard twisties much of the time.

macmusick":n7kmwuly said:
If I can get 10,000 miles on a rear tire I will be very satisfied. I am going to order the Bridgestone tires. When I purchased a new motorcycle in 1999 it came with Bridgestone ( can remember the specifics ) but got only 5000 miles due to cupping. Now was that the fault of the tire or improper inflation? I was riding hard twisties much of the time.
How you ride can make a difference, but every tire is rated for a specific speed, weight and such. Just because it was Bridgestone doesn't mean it was rated for the bike (or one of their better quality tires.) I recommend these Bridgestone S11 Spitfires specifically for 1100's because they are the correct tire for these bikes from Bridgestone. My front tire has 15,128 miles on it as of today (7/16/2011) and it is still more than 1/3 away from the wear bars. For my money...I like them!

Latest posts