Tires w/tubes on a 78

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am figuring on putting tubes in my tires on the comstar rims on my 78. I know you can do it without tubes - that is what is on there now...

That said, even though the rim was not made to properly accept a tubeless tire....I am assuming the tubeless tire is fine as long as there is a tube in there.....i.e. the bead will seat itself. Or is that wrong terminology since there is a tube in there...

or conversely,

is there a tire with a tubular rating....?

thanks

hi pony ...the onlt thing about the comstars is it was made to hold tubless tires thar pretty much didnt exist yet ....the difference in the rim thing is BS ...they had to put tubes in them till tires caught up to the bikes with tubless tires to offer....tube tires are much more dangerous with the tube surfsce and tire rubbing fiction added in the mix for something to go wrong

C/JD: I just assumed these were "comstar" rims. I guess they are not called that. They are the silver painted ones on the 78.

In any event I am assuming they weren't intended for tubeless tires - cause they weren't around yet.

now they are.

Joe - so you like the tubeless tire for these rims?

I am just looking for the "safest" option. I don't want to ride anything that isn't up to snuffy snuff and or sell it to someone unknowingly with an issue - esssspecially tires.

thanks

pony in my opinion with the falts in two piece tube and tire system the tubless tires 0n 78-79 oldwing rims is the safest by far ....whatever they call the rims tubed or tubeless ...they are considered comstar rims by name i had a long time in the saddle with tubless tires and 79 oldwing bike

im hearing that now bridstone ans sinko tourmasters are very good and also kendra ...but this is hear say my 79 been off the road now getting the 1200 treatment that is 2 yrs going now pony the last tires i had for it actualy were 1100 wheels from 83 ...as i moded a 1100 swingarm on the 79 to get better tires choices and lower rpm at touring speeds ...i cant remember the tires i was useing before that ...ive always been hard on tires it seems ..