Towing a GL1500 Front wheel cradle

Help Support ClassicGoldWings:

Dadster

CGW Supporter
Reaction score
Going to Tenn. in Sept. and the wife wants to trailer the bike along. Problem is we don't own a trailer. So was thinking to save money I'd look into one of those front tire cradles that fit in a 2" receivers. With a bolt on trike kit there would be no leaning away in turns. But what I'm finding is rated weight on these is lower than the bike. But the setup I have would support more wt. on the rear tires. I need to find out how much weight is on the front tire. Or am I grabbing at straws and I should look into a trailer?

joedrum

CGW Supporter
Reaction score
Hm mmm I'd say thete would be times that huge weight would be on the set up ..not all the time but roads are not perfect 1500 is heavy bike ...

pidjones

CGW Supporter
Reaction score
I'd rent a bike trailer or regular trailer. Too much risk of the 'Wing tilting, breaking away, etc. Close monitoring of FB Marketplace and Craigslist might even yield a used trailer for little more than your hitch-mount cradle would cost.

AZgl1800

Reaction score
Good move, I found a Tilt Bed trailer recently for $600
a real steal it was, the owners were moving out of state and it had to be gone within 4 hours, so the distressed price.

Mino

Reaction score
Going to Tenn. in Sept. and the wife wants to trailer the bike along. Problem is we don't own a trailer. So was thinking to save money I'd look into one of those front tire cradles that fit in a 2" receivers. With a bolt on trike kit there would be no leaning away in turns. But what I'm finding is rated weight on these is lower than the bike. But the setup I have would support more wt. on the rear tires. I need to find out how much weight is on the front tire. Or am I grabbing at straws and I should look into a trailer?
with goldwings even though it will be in neutral, part of the transmission is still rotating without oil flow/splash from the engine oil pumps. so it will wipe out those gears.

Latest posts