Trailer lighting hookup

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danf

Reaction score
Hello folks, I want to give some information that could maybe be helpful to some with trailers to hook up their lights, when I got my trailer I was so lost because I couldn't find a typical hook up or easy hook up instructions, I didn't know what the fudge I was doing....Electrical stuff scares me.. :smilie_happy: But I figured it all out..A friend said go get the Hoppy Powered Converter #46255 and I listened to him because he suggested it won't hurt your lighting system or overload it by having extra https://www.streetsideauto.com/p/hoppy-power-46255/ lights and such thus probably blowing a fuse, some folks just get a larger size fuse, it may work but I don't want that, I want proper stuff for my lighting system..this power converter goes to the battery then out, pretty easy hook up...
There are 5 wires on the powered converter to be hooked into the bikes system I shall list them and give the colors and where they go so hopefully you will have no problems hooking it up...
1]. White wire goes to the frame
2]. Brown wire ties into to brown wire that comes out of plug under seat for the brake lights
3]. Red wire goes to battery and you should fuse that line then run another red wire from battery to the green and yellow wire under seat that comes out of the plug there for the tail lights
4]. Green wire goes to the light blue wire connection for the right turn signal positive
5]. Yellow wire ties into the Orange left turn connection for the turn signal Pos.

Now I shall describe the wires that come out of the plug under the seat..
1]. Light Blue goes to right turn and the other wire with it goes to green connection for ground the other green wire from converter ties into the light blue one for pos.
2]. Brown [brake light] goes to brown wire from converter
3]. Green is ground for the turn signals ect the two turn signals will tie into it
4]. Green Yellow[tail light] the Red power line from the battery goes into this one
5]. Orange, the yellow wire from converter goes into this one for the left turn signal and the other green wire with it goes to green or ground next the the other green one for the right turn signal.... I'm pretty sure this is correct.... Mine has worked for years with the same converter...The converter has 4 plugins for a typical trailer set up, the HF trailer wiring will hook up perfectly to it...My goal is for you to get it right the first time..

littlebeaver":2euusnij said:
Hello folks, I want to give some information that could maybe be helpful to some with trailers to hook up their lights, when I got my trailer I was so lost because I couldn't find a typical hook up or easy hook up instructions, I didn't know what the fudge I was doing....Electrical stuff scares me.. :smilie_happy: But I figured it all out..A friend said go get the Hoppy Powered Converter #46255 and I listened to him because he suggested it won't hurt your lighting system or overload it by having extra https://www.streetsideauto.com/p/hoppy-power-46255/ lights and such thus probably blowing a fuse, some folks just get a larger size fuse, it may work but I don't want that, I want proper stuff for my lighting system..this power converter goes to the battery then out, pretty easy hook up...
There are 5 wires on the powered converter to be hooked into the bikes system I shall list them and give the colors and where they go so hopefully you will have no problems hooking it up...
1]. White wire goes to the frame
2]. Brown wire ties into to brown wire that comes out of plug under seat for the brake lights
3]. Red wire goes to battery and you should fuse that line then run another red wire from battery to the green and yellow wire under seat that comes out of the plug there for the tail lights
4]. Green wire goes to the light blue wire connection for the right turn signal positive
5]. Yellow wire ties into the Orange left turn connection for the turn signal Pos.

Now I shall describe the wires that come out of the plug under the seat..
1]. Light Blue goes to right turn and the other wire with it goes to green connection for ground the other green wire from converter ties into the light blue one for pos.
2]. Brown [brake light] goes to brown wire from converter
3]. Green is ground for the turn signals ect the two turn signals will tie into it
4]. Green Yellow[tail light] the Red power line from the battery goes into this one
5]. Orange, the yellow wire from converter goes into this one for the left turn signal and the other green wire with it goes to green or ground next the the other green one for the right turn signal.... I'm pretty sure this is correct.... Mine has worked for years with the same converter...The converter has 4 plugins for a typical trailer set up, the HF trailer wiring will hook up perfectly to it...My goal is for you to get it right the first time..
I guess I'm confused. If you use a power wire from the battery to the tail lights won't they stay lit as long as its plugged into the bike??????

Oh man I just checked something on #3] above ....There are actually 6 wires that come out of the converter not 5, two red ones I thought it was just one looking at it from underneath but there are two, ok one of those wires goes to the battery direct with a fused line from the converter, the other red wire from the converter goes to the green and yellow wire not from the battery like I said sorry about that...Sorry to confuse you Red and everyone [myself], Thanks for that..I have another Red wire coming from the battery for my running lights on a relay that I got confused, its been a while since I hooked it up.... ...Duhhhh I'm goofy.. Red I guess there is power to the converter and being the second red wire is tied into a switched line it goes off when the key is turned off along with the other hot lines....I hope this makes more sense now... :smilie_happy: Beaver wouldn't be beaver if he didn't fudge up something... :smilie_happy: well...it's worked for years like this... :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts