trailer towing safety

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joep

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this while searching for tips on making my own gl1200 hitch as mine is not currently set up... it had permission to copy and a shameless request for a plug.. read them and everyone should know this if towing already.. but my faith in myself and others does not go very high.. nothing towards any here.. but have always been told you still need to do this so here goes..

Trailer Towing {Safety First} Plus Other Tid-bits of Info...
Check all lights and tire pressure before trip and every few hundred miles... 
Do a walk around at every gas stop... Both on Motorcycle and Trailer... 
Check oil more frequent just to be safe...  
Check lug nuts periodically... 
Grease bearings once a year or every three thousand miles or so... Bearing Buddieswork well... 
Maintain  20 pounds of tongue weight at ball... Can use a bathroom scale on solid surface same height as ball or a fish scale which you can pack with you... Pack trailer to achieve proper 20 lbs... If to much weight, counter balance heavier items in back... 
Keep cooler to minimum, It's best to load up cooler when you get at destination... 
Don't overload trailer...
Don't put heavy items on roof rack... Can make trailer top heavy... 
Your bike is now twice as long... Be sure when passing you allow enough room to get back in... 
Always signal... Hand signals work well, but finger signals don't... Respect others... 
Allow more time to stop...
Down shift to slow down...
Remember, both brakes for fast stops... 
Cargo trailers should have 20 pounds of air pressure... Campers 25 to 30... Tires will not get hot and gives a softer ride.. 
Remember a trailer may be a inch or two wider than handlebars...
Watch curb at toll booths and when parking... Watch pot-holes... 
Don't ride down center of your lane, with or without trailer, that's where the oil is.. Proper place to ride is half way between center of your lane and yellow line or center of your lane and pavement edge...
Trailers are 38' to 44" average width, same as touring bikes handlebars width across to each outer edge... 
On very windy days I find that a trailer may help to stabilize the bike... Don't get over confident, could change instantly... 
Always decrease speeds when coming into a corner with trailer...  It's easy to forget trailer is behind you...
Allow 10% to 20% more to stop...
Ride safe and be aware... 
No trailer lane, where posted, also applies to motorcycles and trailers... 
Use safety chains, most states require them... Proper chain length should be, if trailer becomes disconnected from ball, it should rest on crossed chains and not touch ground... 
Always lock coupler on ball... Also if you have a receiver hitch, be sure pin is in and lock that also... 
Remove some weight from saddlebags and trunk, that's what trailer is for... 
Home made trailer info: Too short a tongue and not enough tongue weight can cause trailer to wig-wag at about 50 mph... Rule of thumb: ball to center of axle should be twice the distance as center to center on tire... Example: 3' tire to tire center needs 6' from axle to ball coupler... Longer doesn't effect it but shorter sure will, [wig-wag]... 
Swivels for trailers are a nice option, can always be added...
A coupler has 28 degree movement in every direction and will not bind...However if your bike tipped over when parked, a swivel is nice... 
Tires wearing uneven. Check the following: 1-) Uneven air pressure... 2-) Torsion suspension may be out of square causing uneven wear... 3-) Bearing wear... 4-) Mismatched tires... 
Do not overload manufactures recommended weight capacity... My rule of thumb is: 13 Lbs for each cubic feet of cargo space... So a trailer with 18 cubic feet of cargo space  the 13 LBS per cubic feet equals 234 Lbs... 
Follow hitch companies weight recommendations... 40 pounds maximum tongue load, generally... 
The above safety items may be copied... Keep one in your trailer for reference... Make copies for your friends or club members...
If this is used on web sites, a reference to my sites www.cyclematetrailers.com  or www.timeouttrailer.com  would be appreciated... 

Latest posts