Transmission clunky shifting...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romans8

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1986 GL1200SEi
Hey folks, I've been putting some miles on my 86 Wing after getting the TPS mod all figured out thanks to you guys!

The transmission shifts a little clunky though. Not every shift. Sometimes it's smooth and positive feeling. Other times it shudders and clunks in a little weird. It still shifts through all the gears and runs great. I am wondering if you guys have tried any additives or specific type or viscosity oil that might help smooth the trans out at all? Any tips?

Glad the TPS mod worked out. These 1200s do clunk going into gear, especially first ride of the day. They are square cut gears so you have to be direct with the shifting. Having said that, sometimes the gears mesh well - RPM and gear ratio align with the planets. Do not use oil additives.

These engines require RPM for power. Keep the cruising/shifting RPM at least around the 2800 mark. Do not lug these engines, not a lot of torque in the lower RPM range. These engines rely on RPM to be in the power band. The 1500/1800 engines have a lot of low end torque, don't rely on RPM. That's why you can cruise around town on a 1500/1800 in 4th gear all day long.

May seem like you are revving the engine a lot in the lower gears at 3000 RPM but you are not. Something to get used to. Gear shifting will also be improved. Another positive with keeping the RPMs up is that if you need to get going in a hurry you will be able t without downshifting.

Good luck.

if i may add, when engine cold, pull clutch and hold it. rev a little, let it fall to idle, rev a little, fall to idle. you get the idea. after about 30 seconds of varied rpm whith clutch disengaged, and engine idling at 1000 or less, you can slip it in gear.
the problem is oil serface tension on multi plate clutches. also after engine is completley at operating temp, shifting is slick because of same reasons. adhere to low viscosity oil and correct engine operating temp and you will be good eventually after the fresh oil washes the gunk off the friction plates.

common for chevy mechanics to recommend higer visc oil and lower temp (or NO) thermostats. dont fall for that. trust the honda engineers.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

My concern is not so much with shifting into first gear from stopped, but more when riding at speeds, and shifting from 2nd to 3rd or sometimes 1st to 2nd. Clunky is not exactly the right word, but it is more like the gears bouncing off of each other briefly or a little grinding before settling in to gear. It is not every shift, but pretty often.

I’ve flushed and bled the clutch fluid and lines this weekend, and that seems to have helped a bit. I also bought a jug of rotella T5 10W 30 which has been recommended several times for the crank case on different forums, but I have not used it yet. I rely the most on advice from you guys on this forum since you seem to have the most hands-on experience With these specific bikes.

Overall, I am really impressed with this bike. Something so old running so smoothly and holding up so well to a lot of use and probably abuse over the years. Good job Honda!

These older GWs are great especially the FI models - I'm. a bit biased. With oil, these engines were made in the day of a standard type oil. Mr Honda had the car influence involved as well. These engines need a good high quality detergent oil with no additives. JASO is a good indicator of this but did not come into being until 1999. Look for the API donut - this is what it is called, with the lower half of the donut blank. Lots of European formulations out there that have no engine additives:
API-CK-4-Donut-non-energy.jpg
If there is writing in the lower half do not use it, not good for wet clutch application. Look for the API donut as shown, or the JASO spec, can't go wrong.

Cheers

Hey folks, I've been putting some miles on my 86 Wing after getting the TPS mod all figured out thanks to you guys!

The transmission shifts a little clunky though. Not every shift. Sometimes it's smooth and positive feeling. Other times it shudders and clunks in a little weird. It still shifts through all the gears and runs great. I am wondering if you guys have tried any additives or specific type or viscosity oil that might help smooth the trans out at all? Any tips?
Krep your rpms up.