Tuktoyaktuk 2023 and Action Cameras

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are close to finalizing our trip acrosss Canada starting 10 June this year. Have chosen our trip for 2023, Tuktoyaktuk for the Midnight Sun Festival in Inuvik, and seeing the sun not set on approximately 21 June. My brother, Sonya and I will take a trip up there, stick our feet in the Arctic Ocean, see the land of the midnight sun, and come home. Want to go to Skagway as well. Why are we doing this? It's the furthest a person can drive in Canada, always hear about Tuk, and we can - sort of a bucket list trip.

Planning has begun. We know the rough schedule, my brother and Sonya will be in the car, and I on the Himalayan. Started a list of items to take, how to kit out the Himalayan, new tires and chain before leaving, trailer hitch on car for a cargo carrier - gas, and such. Extra tires for the car - 2 in number. Will be putting the snow tires on for the trip. Not worried if the snow tires get trashed, don't like these anyway - too noisy.

Have looked into car/bike communications. Will probably be using the SM10 that came with the Spyder to connect the car to my helmet communicator. Need a walkie talkie for the car that can wirelessly connect to the SM10.

Thinking that it would be nice to have an action camera along for the ride. Lots to choose from depending on your requirements.

I realize that there is no perfect camera and that is how I looked at each unit.

The gold standard, GoPro line, and not inexpensive. Latest model is the 10, but there are a lot of good reasons to purchase an older model depending on your requirement. Have found a 10 that is reasonably priced locally, private sale no sales tax. Makes it even better.

Looked at the 8/9 as well, and have these booked marked for later.

Looked at the Akaso line. Lots of good units depending on the requirements. Looked at the cost difference between the GoPro and these units. When the difference is within $100.00 CDN, the GoPro becomes a prime contender.

There are a lot of units that rival the GoPro for my present requirement(s) such as the Insta360 Go 2, DJI Osmo Action, Inst360 One X2 and on.

I have narrowed the choice(s) to the Insta360 GO 2 - approximately $430.00 CDN for the 64 GB version, GoPro 10 - found one for $300.00 CDN, a GoPro 8 for $350ish CDN, even a GoPro 9/7. I have read about and watched videos on more cost effective units such as the Akaso and such. Lots of good info and performance is good for the price point, but are not in the same league.

Will look at the Insta360 one X2 - it has a price point of approximately $320.00 CDn for the 32 GB version, $413.00 for the 64 GB version. Torn between getting a good less expensive camera such as the Insta360 Go 2, or say the big brother Insta360 one X2 at some $620.00 CDN. The GoPro 10 at $300.00 CDN is a good deal, if I ever hear from the seller - seller is on Used Victoria. Have found a couple of GoPro 8 units that would be good as well. Don't think I'll get into the blogging aspect - a few hours of riding/filming, 30 hours or so editing. Sounds like a teaching job. 5 hours of prep for every hour taught.

I do like the Insta360 GO 2. It has a lot of features that suit what I want to do and can be installed in a variety of locations. I think it is more versatile for a non-blogger. Size is non-intrusive and it can be attached in a variety of ways. This is a good video to watch, not so much for the what it is, but what it was asked to do. Starts at the 13.23 minute mark:

The Insta360 GO 2 has a memeory issue, depending on how you use it. Thinking the 64 GB unit would be the best way to go, but is some $113.00 more than the 32 GB at $320.00 CDN. Just have to work around any issues you encounter.

This is tempered with the cost. There will be some accessories needed regardless of the unit I purchase.

Might be nice to have this type of camera on our trip across Canada.

Have been doing additional rsearch into the action camera world. Lots of choice as I have mentioned.

Have been watching videos and video reviews. Since this is for my viewing pleasure and to do the modern "8 mm" camera thing from the '60s, invite friends and family over to watch your holiday travels, and annoy them with your enthusiastic dialogue. I have settled on an older action Camera, Garmin VIRB Ultra 30.

It has a good bevy of features, video looks good on my laptop, has stabilization - not all singing and dancing, but adequate depending on where you ride, voice control, video editing software from Garmin, video in 4K 30 fps, uses a waterproof case. It's price is that of a high end aftermarket model such as Akaso, but I think it is much better. It can pair with the SENA communicator.

This unit is reported as being "rock" solid, no power issues.

Next step is to find one that has a price I can accept. Not a lot of choice here on the island or close by.

Plan B. The Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 units have not panned out. Not a lot of choice out there north of the border. Did a Canada wide Kijiji search for action cameras, models that I would accept. Found 2 Osmo Action units/kits with a good bevy of accessories - you can spend a small fortune on accessories to get going. Talked to the seller, found out why he is selling, what will be included, and what these were used for - price is reasonable too. Looked at the videos he has done with the units.

Made the deal - bought the sellers two Osmo Action cameras with accessories, and spare batteries:
Osmo 1.jpgOsmo Action 2.jpg
Have an adaptor coming so I can bluetooth the camera(s) to my SENA communicator for voice control. In the mail - should get these this week. Not a lot of inventory here north of the border. If I find that I don't need the second camera, can always sell.