Typical 1100 Muffler Failure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Finally spending some time wrenching on the Slug again. Been quite a few years since I really pulled anything off other than brake pads or oil changes. Recently, I started hearing an exhaust leak from the right muffler. In no time at all, it grew louder and louder. Nice day today so I decided it was time to see how bad the leak is.

First thing I noticed, the nuts on the exhaust headers are super easy to turn! As a matter of fact, every nut or bolt I touched was pretty easy to loosen. Not wrenching has also meant not checking nuts and bolts like I usually did before long trips (been awhile).

Exhaust system dropped real easy. Found a small hole in the left muffler, but a huge hole inside where the bracket holds the right muffler. This is exactly the same location the muffler rusted through on the 1981 1100 we restored and sold back in 2016. It is certainly a weak spot in the 1100 exhaust.

image.php

image.php

image.php

From the looks of those holes they seem to have had some help in appearing. Stones, rock chips, stray bullets or something.

You're dead right though about those loose nuts and bolts, maintenance ain't just oil changes.

I really can't make the 3rd photo out or recognize what it's a picture of but the only weak point on these exhausts that I've ever known of is the bottom welded seam on the header, but they are getting older and older every year, maybe you just found a new weak spot, or maybe it just got like that because of the loose fasteners.

image.php

In this picture, the hole was rusted through. I pushed a screwdriver through to open up to see how bad the rust was and how thin the metal is.

In the third picture, you are looking inside the bracket on the muffler and inside of that is what should be the skin of the muffler. It is mostly gone in that picture revealing a really big hole.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214170#p214170:2db7fph2 said:
pidjones » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:08 pm[/url]":2db7fph2]
So, what is your plan for patching?

I knocked out the rusty section, wire brushed to clean steel, cut some stainless exhaust repair mesh, used high temp exhaust epoxy and let everything cure. Out it all back together today and tested her out. Quiet as a mouse again! :yahoo:

With the exhaust dropped, the engine guards had to be removed. With the valve covers exposed, I decided to change the valve cover gaskets (they were starting to weep drops of oil). With the valve covers off, engine nice and cold, well, it was a good time to adjust the valves.

With everything back together and sealed up, went for a short ride. I might be imagining this, but with the exhaust closed up correctly and the valves adjusted, she has a bit more smoothness and pep! :music:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214182#p214182:3ify436j said:
D-50Dave » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:28 am[/url]":3ify436j]
Perception is reality.
It sure is! :hihihi:

Now, if I could just perceive that my low back and herniated discs don't hurt, I could ride on long trips again. :whip: :hihihi:

Latest posts