Unknown sound?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigpete

Reaction score
Hallo there!

I'll try to make you understand my question in " swenglish"...
I have a sound in my engine that I wonder where it comes from, when i come to for example a red light and gears down I get a sound of riding a dirtroad and dirt splatters under my front fender...
Does this make any sense to you?
gearbox?
Crankshaft bearings?
Ps. It's a-76 gl 1000

:thanks: from Bigpete

hmmmm idont know for sure ...if the bike is new to you ...it just might have to ride the bike into running condition ....oldwings dont like to sit for long periods of time ....i think your to quick to do major work on it .....

big points are to check for carbs not leaking into crancase ...good spark ...carb adjustments and riding it a bit ....and good cooling system :mrgreen: and no coolant mix with oil....

Is there any sort of gear grinding noises?

Coasting downshift sounds like maybe something in the final drive or driveshaft?
I'd have a look and the finaldrive and wheel splines and look for maybe a bad u joint in the driveshaft.

Also check wheel bearings, timing belts, tire cord broke loose, check anything and everything for looseness.

Does it make this noise in any gear, or just in 1st gear?
If it is in any of the gears, when you let off of the throttle, then I'd lean to it being something with the differential, as Dan suggested.
If it only makes this noise when in 1st gear, then I'd suspect a trans gear issue, or possibly too much endplay in the gearbox.... :builder:

dose this noise come only from the front of the bike? Dose it make that noise when applying the breaks? (Front or rear) Check the break shoes for metal to metal contact if so, check for grooves and ware on rotors. If you can gear down to a stop without the breaks is the noise still there? Reise the front end and spin the front wheel (or back) by hand to check for noise and side to side movement.