Updating parts

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
so, decided it was time to update some stuff. already did the back tail lights, rebuilt the carbs, about to re-build the front brake calipers.

but what comes next, need to upgrade the handlebars. they have been slightly bent since i bought the bike, and the grip strips where it mounts are pretty worn so ive been jerry-rigging it to keep them sturdy. but it is time to update them. so my question is...can the regular mounting bracket on an 83 GL1100 hold 1" bars? or do i have to keep to the 7/8" if i dont want to upgrade the mount?

also while looking for new bars, because i want to change the style a little bit, is there anything in particular i need to look for? like something i may be missing for bars to work? not that i will do it, but if i took some new HD bars that are 7/8" will those work?

Nope, 1" bars won't fit without modification of something. I put 2"risers on my '83 and found them just right, but consider new brake lin will be needed for anthing over about an inch and a half. On my '83 aspencade, the dash panel precludes the risers so I cut two sets of bars up to make one set 2" taller. The hard part about bars is knowing what you want before trying them out.

I've sort of look at my upper tree,there appears to be enough meat on it to bore it to 1 inch.the thought is intriguing

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216752#p216752:1j8gce1a said:
Dusterdude » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:04 am[/url]":1j8gce1a]
I've sort of look at my upper tree,there appears to be enough meat on it to bore it to 1 inch.the thought is intriguing

I suppose if you have the tooling and/or skill you could make it work. I have 1" bars on 2 bikes and 7/8 on the rest and the only advantage I can see is putting the wires inside the 1" would be easier.

This is just a thought straight out of my oft corrected head but couldn't you get a short set of risers that adapt 7/8" to 1"?

An issue I can see though would be that if you did find something like that, now you've got to find switches, throttle control & grips that fit.

Harley stuff,very plentiful and not too expensive

Latest posts