USA 4 Corners Tour

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello Everybody,
Just thought I'd check in and let you all know a 32 year old Aspencade is perfectly up to a tour around the country. We departed home base in Maine and picked up our first corner of Madawaska Maine about lunch time. Had a nice chat with Joe, the creator of the 4 Corners USA Park.
Madawaska ME 1st Corner.jpg

We then traveled through Canada and reentered the USA at Sault Ste Marie. We pickup up on US 2 out of Duluth MN. Dodged big storms across North Dakota but finally hit moderate rain a bit in to Montana. This is were we ran in to 2-3 miles of US 2 where Montana decided to take the entire road surface down to gravel and dirt. Well, add rain and it's a bit exciting. Then we hit Poplar MT where the highway department decided not only to do the gravel and mud trick but add pot holes, oh Yeah! The real funny part was the sign about 1/4 mile from the town saying “Motorcycles advised to use alternate Route”. Take a look at the map and see if you can find an "Alternate Route" then imagine sitting looking at a 4inch GPS screen trying to figure it out, oh and naturally in the rain!.
So muddy Montana roads quickly turn days of detailing in to a muddy mess. :(
muddy mess.jpg

We were planning on doing the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National park. We were based in Cut Bank MT ready when we got news the road was closed, some trouble.

Next big event was the 2nd Corner in Blaine Washington. This is where rain really found us and my right boot finally gave up any pretense of water proof.
Blaine WA 2nd Corner.jpg

Now we are in Las Vegas for a day of R&R before heading for San Ysidro. The Goldwing is running like a champ. After 7430 miles I did add about a pint of Mobil 1 4T today. Our highest pass was yesterday on US 93 coming down from Jackpot NV at 7422ft.

Tomorrow we plan to suffer Southern CA nightmare road system, please say a prayer for us.

Wow what a great trip, and with the one you love to boot. (Wife I mean)

L.A rush traffic is 5-10 am mostly, then 2-6 pm. Avoid those times if you can. Would love to have coffee with you both but I'll be working, unless you're around the San Fernando valley after 2 or so.

After a relaxing day in Sin City aka Las Vegas we hit the road about 5:30am. The plan was to hit San Bernardino about 9am. We then took the 215 south and actually, surprisingly had an easy ride. There was more traffic in SD. We picked up the 3rd corner in San Ysidro about noon, the camera is still on east coast time :)
Then we headed out of dodge and made it to Yuma AZ about 2:30pm and am now relaxing in a nice Best Western on the east side of town.
San Ysidro CA, 3rd Corner!.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213169#p213169:1f5gp3mr said:
brianinpa » Today- 12:11[/url]":1f5gp3mr]
This trip is on my retirement list. When do you expect to finish?
The plan is finish the 4th Corner, Key West on Wednesday if all goes well and no pesky Hurricanes get involved :) Our trip back to Maine will take a bit longer then a straight ride, visiting family.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213154#p213154:3vzmmauq said:
desertrefugee » Today- 9:48[/url]":3vzmmauq]
Trip of a lifetime!
Yes it is amazing seeing this big country changing from thick forests to plains to rugged mountains and now hot dry deserts.
I did this ride with a buddy in 1999 riding a 1983 BMW R100RT, the 1987 Aspencade is a very big step up!

Desert in Green.jpg
I’ve been across I-10 through the desert several times over my life the most recent was about 18 years ago. And it’s not what I remember. The most amazing thing to me was the light shade of green of the desert. I assume all the irrigation for the massive farms and orchards of pistachios and pecans are actually changing the climate, at least along I-8/I-10 through AZ and New Mexico.

I actually laughed in NM when I saw the dust storm warnings us to hunker down, while seeing green and some actual pools of water :)

Anyone know? Is it just the season I've happened to miss until now or has a real change occurred?

Coming from Oz, Arizona desert is always green in my opinion unless you are in the sands of Yuma. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=213312#p213312:1pl0fset said:
desertrefugee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 am[/url]":1pl0fset]
Google Sonoran Desert. One of the most beautiful, but I might be slightly biased...
:good:

Latest posts