well that was close

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwinggirl

Reaction score
So the last few days my wing has been marking its spot. Was not sure if it was antifreeze or oil. It was just a little spot. Anyway, Today I was at a friends house and noticed that I had a drop of antifreeze on the left cam belt cover. I already had my jacket and gloves on so decided I would check the hose clamps when I got home after a 20 mile ride on back roads.

So I get home, get a screwdriver out and tighten the hose clamps. Or tried too. I was tightening the one by the thermostatic and the darn thing, popped off. It was broken... Lucky I was home and had a spare hose clamp.

Guess I'm just living right sometimes...

Better look it over a few times to see if anything else is coming apart. Good you had such good fortune.

Lucky lucky lucky!!! :Egyptian: It rarely happens like that, but when it happens to you, it's time to say "Thank You" to whatever deity you believe in! :thanks: :mrgreen:
Last summer, my clutch cable snapped right as I was turning into my driveway, coming home from work... :whistling:

I did check the other hose clamps, two others are original but good, Really the one that broke looked fine... stainless) and was a newer one from when the hoses were replaced two years ago.

I had the clutch cable break on me a few years ago too. Luckly I was only a few miles from home and had a slight road slope to get the bike moving downhill and pop the bike into first gear from neutral. Only one stop sign then which I rolled threw, no traffic lucky there too.. WAY too much fun then.

I have been giving the bike the once over and did check the strator plug too. Its in pretty good condition, Fluids all replaced, hoses new, New front brake pads and hoses, etc.

Only other issue is I may need to take my starter button apart as once in a while it acts like it does not want to start. It does, but sometimes on the first push nothing happens. Generally happens once its warmed up and after a short stop. Just once in a while. Though battery is good. Did that once before (cleaned the contacts), but it was six-ish years ago.

goldwinggirl":rwa5967z said:
Only other issue is I may need to take my starter button apart as once in a while it acts like it does not want to start. It does, but sometimes on the first push nothing happens. Generally happens once its warmed up and after a short stop. Just once in a while. Though battery is good. Did that once before (cleaned the contacts), but it was six-ish years ago.

If that doesn't do it, It may be in one of your neutral switches. The way to check it out is. If it doesn't start. Kick it out of neutral & in a couple gears & back in to neutral. Press starter button.
I have one bad on my 78. It may be in the clutch handle switch. Or the other one. (Al didn't say where it was)
Well mine didn't start today so I did just that. Pressed the starter button & away I went! :clapping: Life is good

Well I'll try that. Hum. I've never pulled the wires from the neutral switch on the transmision. Sometimes the clutch switch does not work, though I pretty much always start in neutral... Theres another thing to check.... Thanks!

Latest posts