well thats a non-starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwinggirl

Reaction score
So I had been having an intermittent problem with the start button, not starting. It became high on my list this last weekend, when the intermittent problem became a full time problem. Lucky its easy to fix by taking apart the controls, removing the switch and cleaning the contacts all while not loosing the two small springs. Lordy I've no idea how my bike was starting, everything was corroded / heavy oxidized. A little light sandpaper and reassembly and it starts up with just a bump of the starter. So one more repair done.

The bike is running pretty well at the moment, I've got the new fan switch coming and have two muffler gaskets to install. Now if the northern California weather would just be less wet....

Life is good!!

Good deal! It's nice that at least SOME of the stuff on these old turds is easy to fix! I did the same thing with my turn sig switch a few weeks ago....good as new now! :good:

I have a problem with my old 1100. The battery is up, but when I try to start it, all I get is a click down by the positive cable going to the battery. How can I test to see if the starter is gone. ?

You can use one jumper cable across the big terminals of the starter solenoid. If the starter spins it's a problem with the solenoid ( the source of the click noise). Sometimes a few thumps with a screwdriver handle will get it making contact.

Starter relies on mount bolts to ground it. Loosen and tighten a couple and it may complete the circuit. If not then you'll probably need to remove the starter and tear it down for inspection. Be sure to read through the procedures in the manual first.

is it one click or a number of clicks - could the engine be siezed? Can you turn the back wheel in gear?

Yep, we jumped out the terminals and she fired up. I guess we have to get a new solenoid.

Okay problem determined. The fix is pretty easy. Almost any bike solenoid,ford solenoid, yard or farm tractor solenoid can be used.

Latest posts