what should I do first???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhurt

Reaction score
Hey all, well as some of you have seen in my welcome post I just picked up an 82 gl1100 interstate.  I have had other bikes, but usually newer stuff, however I am not afraid to work on old stuff as my forte is more the classic air cooled VW stuff.  Just want to know if there are any recommendations that I should be immediately checking for?  I already plan to have a look at the timing belts and tensioners.  Is there a better or more cost effective place to order the timing belts and parts from?  keeping in mind I am in Canada....

I have attached photos of the recent work the PO had done on the bike as well.  Thanks in advance and glad to be a member here! 

Also what does the stereo look like that mounts up by the windshield, or is that on the newer wings?

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 147
Welcome from the west coast rock. First priority, get an OEM shop manual. Peruse the various forums and threads and all your questions will be answered. An older bike is like an older car, brakes, steering stem - wheel bearings, springs, suspension, yes - timing belts, and other items. The tensioners should be good, but if cost is no option, new can be had from Honda or do the tensioner mod. Lots of good riding to be had in your bike. Good luck. Cheers

Welcome to the forum from Ohio.
Do not just inspect the timing belts REPLACE them. Then write the date and mileage on the cover.

Here is a link to my cost of new top me bike. It really helps me know what I have done to this bike and when. It is on this forum. Make yourself a thread for your new bike.

Read the next post by julimike54 before reading my links.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=13115

and my other bike.

viewtopic.php?f=123&t=10972

I would inspect everything before you start buying new parts. If unsure old belts and tyres plus all fluids is a great place to start.

Well I just got off the phone with the local Honda dealer and after looking at my VIN he tells me that I have an american bike. I asked him what that means and basically told me that is made it more difficult to find parts for the bike. So now I wonder what else is different about this bike? At first I asked him about timing belts, told him it was an 82 goldwing gl1100. He told me the only gl that shows up for 82 is a gl500... So at this point I think I have lost faith in buying parts from the local honda dealer...

Needless to say he has an oil filter in stock, and timing belts that he thinks are right are a week away and $100 each... I told him to hold off on the belts. I ordered the gates belts on amazon for $30 each and they will be here Thursday. I think tomorrow I will get the bike into the shop and start having a look at everything, fluid levels, etc.

Another 82 just came for sale in the same town I bought this one from but it has all the bells and whistles, radio, cb, floor boards, extra lights etc. All the stuff mine doesn't have, however he says it needs the carbs synced, and a choke cable, and tires are only fair... but he is only asking $2500 too... I think these bikes become an addiction. I should probably just work on this one and ride it for a bit before I buy another though.

Got my eye on an 82. In great condition needs carbs cleaned and the clutch is frozen. Hope he has it this weekend as he wants $800 but he’s 6 hours away and work has me swamped so can’t take day off this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are prices from Rockauto for comparison

GATES T274 Timing Belt (4010.35.0000) CAD$ 16.62 CAD$ 0.00 2 CAD$ 33.24
GATES T42015 Timing Idler (8409.91.0090) CAD$ 19.73 CAD$ 0.00 2 CAD$ 39.46
Shipping International Economy CAD$ 12.94
GST/HST # 855114328 CAD$ 3.64
Order Total CAD$ 89.28

The timing idlers are for the idler mod. Worked great but you may not need them.

Latest posts