what to do

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 85 in the 78. Seems like a good idea. My memory is pretty terrible lately but I think it will fit and bolt up fine, not sure on the output shaft. That might be a problem. I’m pretty sure the driveshaft clip is a must, 1200 motors don’t use them.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220021#p220021:34uro4h4 said:
desertrefugee » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:04 pm[/url]":34uro4h4]
Ha! You know exactly what to do, William. This is a purely rhetorical question, isn't it?
i thought i would present this to those that know more about this kind of stuff than i do

On the driveshaft clip, I had the plan once to cut in a groove with a file or air cutoff blade while running the engine. I haven’t tried this yet on the FI engine I have, steel could be too hard though somehow it was done at the factory in the 80’s. The 1000 driveshaft is different than the 1100 and 1200, it may not even fit the 1200 output shaft anyway.

If you can run the engine... AND if the shaft might be hardened, or case-hardened... is to run the engine, and use an abrasive disk, very carefully held, and gently fed. A dremel, if the clip is very narrow, or if it's wider, an air cutoff tool with cutting disk. By hand, a narrow file would do, provided the hardening is shallow.

Doctor... I've been having these sick dreams, nightmares, and terrible thoughts lately... I dreamed of fitting a 1500 Goldwing motor into my old Cushman 3 wheel Truckster, with a Jeep Cherokee rear axle, and a hydraulic dump cylinder...

And worse... making a 3-wheel 2-seat commuter car using a Goldwing swingarm driven by a 2.0l CRV motor and fwd transaxle...

And worst... I had Chicken Broccoli Fettucini Alfredo for dinner last night.

Is there something I can take for this?

I saw a thread on another forum and the fellow was installing a GW engine in a small car. Haven't seen it for a while.

For the final drive engine output shaft, can the one from the '78 be fitted into the 1200. You would have to remove the rear case and swap. A thought.

Dan - butchering the FI engine would be sacrilege. Naughty of you to think of this. :sensored:

Latest posts