Wheel valve stem size?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Does anyone know, or have a loose rim to measure the valve stem hole size? I see two size options when looking for replacement stems, but I don't know which size I need, nor do I want to dismount the tire to find out. I see either 11.8mm or 8.3mm available. It appears the stem on my front rim is leaking now, after installing the new tire a couple of weeks ago.....grrrrrrr! At least it's too cold to ride now anyway.

Can you buy one of each size from your parts store and return the one you do not need?

The local Cyclegear only has the 11.3mm in stock. If it takes the smaller size, I would have to order from somewhere else...which means I wouldn't be able to fix it this weekend.

I'm 99 percent sure its .453 inches

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Which is the tr412 automotive size

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

My GL1200 uses whatever is the standard size for cars, available from any of the auto parts stores. I installed Slime all metal valve stems made for .453 inch (the larger size you listed) hole, I would be surprised if Mother Honda used different size valve stems in different models and years of motorcycles.

CLICK HERE to see what I used.

Hope this helps.

Dave / Believer45

Thanks guys! I went to Cycle Gear and actually ASKED if they had one like I need, and the gal said "Maybe...lemmie look". She found TWO of them in a drawer under the counter So I got one. I need the 90 degree type so I can actually check and blow air into the tire. A straight stem, even a short one dint look like it would be very easy to do those things. Now all I gotta do it bust the dang tire back down and rassle the new stem on the rim. I'll give that a shot this weekend. :builder:

I added the part # to the pic for future reference. Yer welcome...lol

Dangit....I just noticed this stem is facing the wrong side....I need one that faces the right side. I'll hafta go back and see if the other one they had faces the right..... :whistling: :hihihi:

might throw the balance off :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: better get some Beads :hi: :hi: :hi:
Kinda wish I had those 90* stems on my Asspy those little shorty's are a real pain in the ars sometimes

Well....as is typical of anything I do, the leak on the tire WAS the valve stem. However...it wasn't leaking thru the rubber/rim connection. It was actually leaking from....the loose valve core....DOH!!! :Doh2:
I APPARENTLY dint tighten the dang thing last time I re-aired it after mounting. I went ahead and popped the tire off the beads and installed the new valve stem, just to be sure. I then spent aboot an hour determining the rim/tire needed some weight for balance. The rim kept stopping at the exact same spot after spinning. I do have balance beads in it, but it still had a severe vibration starting aboot 80-85mph. I finally determined where I needed to add weight, and aboot how much. I won't add until I ride again to see if dis/remounting the tire helped or eliminated the vibration. Hopefully the weather will allow that next week. Are we having fun yet??? :shock:

:rant: NOTE TO SELF....after removing and installing the wheel assembly, you MUST PUMP THE BRAKE LEVERS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO RIDE.... :Doh2: :Doh2:
I missed that note....I pulled outta the garage this mernin, started backin down the incline on the driveway....and promptly fell right smack over in between Mama's Cad and her Corvette. :sensored: No friggin brakes to slow me down. It hit the Corvette first, and since the handlebars were turnt, it just fell right over. Couldn't get it back up....the Cad was in the way...and the bike was layin on the Cad. I wound up having to roll the Cad back 10-12 feet so I could get on the side and walk the heavy bastige back upright. I still couldn't get it up, since the right rear would hit on the the dang Corvette, so I had to pull the back end of the bike around to get enough room to upright it. Finally got it up, tho....damn.... :head bang:
Of course, just to add to the enormous amount of fun I was havin, I waited until this mernin to try the new helmet with my balaclava and neck warmer. It don't fit. I wound up just wearin the neck warmer and a skull cap(warming type). I will say...this new helmet keeps dang near ALL of the wind off my face, so the balaclava isn't needed anyway. It is also far less noisy, and my pumkin haid doesn't flop around in the wind now either, so there was at least ONE positive for the ride into werk....in 40 degree temps.
Jeeeeze...... :doh:

(No....I dint take no pics....I thought aboot it tho....)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220411#p220411:2b11eoel said:
julimike54 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:38 am[/url]":2b11eoel]
After ya lifted it did ya talk in the next octave up :BigGrin:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=220410#p220410:3k4hkgq7 said:
mcgovern61 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:05 am[/url]":3k4hkgq7]
Man, my back is hurting just thinking about trying to get that girl back up! :shock:

Mine too!! :heat:

all that to tell us you screwed up and dropped your bike? wow, its gonna happen again. and again. the v=narcissism will go away as you accept that. happy thanksgiving!