Will be Wingless very soon

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krakum1967

Reaction score
Well, we are living on half of our usual income as I live at home to take care of one of my kids with what I will call health issues that require regular supervision for an unspecified amount of time. Not up for discussion, but it just needs to be done. Sadly, we received our predicted fuel usage rates from the Propane company and it projected that our total winter heat bill will be well over 3500 for the winter. Twice the amount from last year. SO as much as I hate to do it, I am liquidating all projects and bikes in my barn. Well all but one bike, I still need to get to town from time to time.

I thought it over for some time as I am keeping one bike out of 6 in my keep. I weighed resale value, reliability, fuel usage, and other factors. The choice was between the UM/Hyosung GV650 Tour Edition, or the GL1000. I am sorry, but the Gold Wing has yet to give me at least one month of reliable service. The UM is only 7 years old, is liquid cooled, has equal horse power and a better HP to Weight ration. I have ridden it on the drag strip in MN, and I have had that bike at 120 and climbing mph on the half mile, so its fast. Also, I just do not trust the Gold Wing. Every time I get on top of one issue, another comes up. I like to think that I have good mechanical skills, I have been repairing everything from Tank Armament systems to Small Arms weapons, combines, tractors, cars, trucks (diesel and gas), computers, and motorcycles on a professional level for 30 plus years. And I just cant get this to the point where I can dress myself go outside and ride, and start the bike without issue. And for me in this vast and large state with limited population require a bike that will travel 200 miles, and get me home with no issues. I am very active in the Patriot Guard, and there are times where I ride for 6 to 8 hours to reach far corners for Flag line or memorial services. Sadly, the GL1000 just cannot meet that requirement. And getting stuck on a road Freeway or rural route is not a pleasant experience here. I have had to have bikes towed home and its 200 miles to the nearest tow company that handles MC issues. Last time I broke down on the Harley, I had to wait 4 hours for the truck to get to me.

So, I want to thank you all for the support and advice. This has definitely learned a great deal, and a well earned thank you is given to the experts like Joe Drum and everyone else for helping me out I send my gratitude. The new owner is picking her up on Tuesday, and he asked me to put the leather gaskets on the manifold for him. He apparently has experience for single carbed Gold Wings, and even told me that is why he selected my bike. He also has aluminum welding skills and can build his own manifold where the seams will be under the carb, and

But I have a VERY LARGE heat bill to contend with half of the usual income, and I have to make sacrifices. Thanks for everything to all of you for your help and the community you have built here. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, and just need to get this rough change taken care of, and get ready for winter. We are moving after thaw next year too, so its best too sell them now before prices seasonally drop round here.

So thanks again, it really has been one of the best forum experiences I have ever had the privilege to be a part of. Keep the Greasy side down, and your eyes moving and aware. Farewell to all of you. Thanks

Kraig
krakum1967

sheesh sorry to hear this ... yep this is why i split wood ,,, seems we americans live in houses that have to be on full time life support ... stories like this just plain suck ... its been very cool having you here ...

You know, I really enjoy the group. And you never know what happens to me in the spring, I will always love the ride of the bike. I have just never felt safer on a bike than with a goldwing.

And I cut the leather gaskets yesterday and put them on where the manifold hits the head, and they work beautifully. And they dont rip like the other cork based ones. Once again, joedrum had the invaluable data. It idles now, it is a little choppy but the owner said he has a good idea of the jetting, he had a GL1000 til 15 years ago, and he said he ran a holley 2 barrel on it. He had moved to a new Harley, but now he is leaving the dark side. I also recommended he join this group.

I will still be lurking, I really enjoy the company.

Thanks Dan, I really enjoy it here. And I am saving to pull the trigger on the FB6 next spring. I know its new, but that bike kind of haunt me after the test ride this spring.

And here is the other reason the wing had to go. The UM/Hyosung is not supported very well, and I tried to sell it last year. The highest bid didn't even meet reserve. I could only get a grand for it because it is not a known brand, and their support and dealership. I got a better bid on the goldwing, so we are kind of stuck with the UM. Well that and Sherry would hand me my butt if I sold her baby...lol

Sorry to hear of you situation. I can certainly understand your choice and agree it is a good one...Remember though that you just needed more time to work out the bugs, these are good bikes but some have been neglected many years or decades and need time to get the bugs out, seen many rocketing across the US without problems and have been doing it for decades.

I agree on the reliability, but when I bite into the next one, it has to run. I typically have a no non-running bikes when I buy. SO we will see. I do love the way they ride, they are so confident on the road. That and I sort of what the 1200.

Sorry to hear what you're goin' through, but things have a way of falling into place. Hoping you'll stick around and share your thoughts with us - this forum is about so much more than Goldwings!

Kraig, thanks for all that you have shared on here! I hope your situation works out for you and your family. Don't be afraid to read and post here, you don't need a Wing to post! :yes:

Thanks guys, I loaded her this morning and the new owner will be here at 9:00 am. Happy she is going to a good home, and I will be servicing her. The buyer is one of my regulars.

Latest posts