Winter storage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DemonRider

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 GL 1100 Cafe Racer
COLD canada coming up ..I have an 81 gl 1100 ...ran sea foam through it..anything else I can do? Wife won't let me bring into house...

Used to take out plugs in my dirt bikes an put a little oil in cylinders . Should I do that with the GL?

I've had my '81 for 33 years. Here's my routine.
1) Fill the gas to the top. Prevents the tank from rusting.
2) Add 2 oz Stabil.
3) Turn petcock off and run the carbs dry. As they start to stumble, add chock 'til dead.
4) Put on center stand, attach battery minder, put on bike cover, and wipe a tear from the corner of my eye as I kiss her goodnight.

I've had my '81 for 33 years. Here's my routine.
1) Fill the gas to the top. Prevents the tank from rusting.
2) Add 2 oz Stabil.
3) Turn petcock off and run the carbs dry. As they start to stumble, add chock 'til dead.
4) Put on center stand, attach battery minder, put on bike cover, and wipe a tear from the corner of my eye as I kiss her goodnight.
You put the stabil in after filling the tank? Stabil doesn’t need to mix up with the gas?

I'm lucky where I live in Missouri I can buy Ethanol free fuel, they charge dearly for the stuff,an extra dollar a gallon over regular. But I count it as cheap insurance, I've had to clean up the muck and corrosion and rust that ruined carbs and tanks over the years because they were left with that watery fuel in them, I avoid that stuff when ever possible.
Just sayin maybe a fill up with that good stuff would be a good idea before parking for the winter.And draining the carbs is a must....

Here in Tennessee, we can get 100% gasoline in both regular and premium blends. The regular 100% is only ~5% up-charge. That (with Stabil at label concentration) is all that any of my carbureted engines get. I run the GL1000 with fuel OFF until it stalls, then drain the fuel bowls.

While I did keep the Slug in our unheated garage, I never winterized her since I kept riding year round. Only reason not to ride was snow and ice. But that usually cleared up in a week. During really cold winters, I still started her up once per week until warmed up. In NJ, it is ethanol gas only so keeping the gas moving through the carbs was to only way to keep them from gunking up. I tried Stabil one year and still had water separation in the tank.

Thanks guys...for all the advice. Going to divorce wife! Thanks again. Gonna store bike on her water bed.