Wiring nightmare

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhharold

Reaction score
My Bike Models
1980 GL1100
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and also the Goldwing. I just recently picked up a heavily modified goldwing recently. The bike had a running/ brake light that got in the way of me putting the stock exhaust back on.
So I decided to remove the signals and running light to replace it with an LED strip. For a little while the lights were working fine. But then when I tried going for a ride the lights went out. I unplugged everything and now I'm getting no power to the rear lights at all. I replaced all of the fuses but still no dice

Any thoughts? Pic of the wiring attached

Attachments

• 20221007_205727.jpg
    20221007_205727.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
You could hook a test light to a wire there. Then to positve on battery. This will enable to see if a wire is broke to tail light. That all good proceed to hook to wires comeing from front. Then with key on see if test light comes on. Follow wires on to front find disconnect. You may have to operate brakes to find those conections.

Also may help if the year of 1100 is told to us. The wirering is slightly difent in some years. Also different from an aspy, interstate, or stripped bike. Many of the color codings are the same tho.

Many times the key switches have gotten worn-out so bad that good conections are lost.

My wire nightmare restarts this winter on my 83 aspy. The extra lights and switches are a disaster that was temp fixed and unhooked for most this spring to ride.

The colors for the wiring harness for the rear lights are standard for all 1100 models:

Green - ground
Green/Yellow- brake light positive from both front and rear brake switches
Brown - running lights positive (same for the front)
Orange - left turn signal positive (same for the front)
Blue - right turn signal positive (same for the front)

Latest posts