YouTube Video

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My late friend's son sent me a text about a Facebook post by Ryan - he's RyanF9 on YouTube - from FortNine. He has relocated to Vancouver, still works for FortNine, and put a request out to the masses for certain types of older bikes that he would like to feature in an upcoming YouTube video he does. One of the bikes was an older 1980s GW. Called the son and discussed this with him. He contacted Ryan about my 1200, and Ryan responded that my GW would be of interest. I was on the email so I contacted Ryan and gave him my cell number. he called, we chatted, and he is going to come to the island next week to do a day with my GW. I will be letting him ride it, but I will be in tow as a spectator. Be interesting to see how this production goes.

So yesterday afternoon it was pull the old girl out and start cleaning/polishing. Started it up after supper, smoked to beat the band, but did eventually clear up. Old gas almost a year now so some new and let it run. Stalled when throttle applied, but started to clear up after a bit, probably some crud in the fuel line.

The more I thought about the throttle issue, I remembered that I had this issue before and it was the TPS. Today got to clean/polish again, but took time out to change the TPS. Had a used original in my parts bin. Put it in and bike worked much better. Checked the setting IAW with the spec requirement and it was out - again. Went to reset and when I was setting up the throttle valve arm with the 2.9 mm spacer, I noticed that the throttle valve arm moved when I brought the stop screw up to it. The movement was very slight, probably from wear over the years.

The throttle valve arm movement tweaked my interest and I watched as I brought the stop screw up to the throttle valve arm making sure the stop screw did not move the throttle valve arm. Reset the TPS, no error codes and I think it started and idled better. Will know more tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking the movement throttle valve arm due to wear is enough to put the TPS setting in the upper range of the spec requirement, and in doing so, the signal to the ECU is in the upper range of the spec setting. This signal would indicate to the ECU that fuel is required. The ECU would increase the injector open duration resulting in excess fuel being dumped into the engine resulting in a rich fuel condition, smell of gas and all that.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning and polishing the old girl and was able to this evening move bikes around so that I will be able to do a road test as soon as I get insurance, hopefully tomorrow. Will be doing a few road trips before next week to blow out the cobwebs so to speak.

I'll take as many pics as I can. Ryan has quite a presence on YouTube for FortNine. Thinking the bike will have it's 30 seconds of fame. Interesting that he would think of an older GW as a good choice for a used motorcycle, he being a younger fellow - wonder what his thoughts are?

The other bikes he is looking at for the video are a Honda XR dirt of any year and capacity, Suzuki Gladius and V-Star with some custom work done

Have a bit more cleaning to do, spruce up the tires and such. Want the old girl to be as pretty as possible for her debut. Hadn't planned on having the 1200 back on the road so soon. Had planned on doing some other work/maintenance as well, but these items will now be done probably sooner than later.

Will keep the collective posted on what happens.

Be nice to get a good showing from the FI 1200 you put a lot of work in this bike ...your thoughts on the free play and TPS seem plausable ...one thing I've learned on flat fours is there so well balanced that the least thing can cause them to a bit funky running ..hope it all goes well ...be great to have a nice review of one of the forums bike .the FI model is perfect bike also ..not much on them really ...a rare review in my opinion

Renewed the insurance and got the plate stickers this afternoon. Quite the process, phone in, put in the queue, wait for a phone call, give permission by email, agree by email to terms and conditions (a signature email), go to the office, phone and have the docs and such delivered outside. Not what I'm used to, but all done in the same day.

Took the bike for a ride up the highway. Still rides well and as I remembered. Did a short stint up to 150 KPH, ran out of highway to keep going. Pulled strong. Still have a few issues to contend with such as the odometer does not work, and the cruise lights do not come on at start, but the cruise does work. Thinking of going back to the air shocks - rebuild and get the system up and operating again.

Going to ride for a few days, get some Kms on it. Still want to rebuild the engine for a variety of reasons.

Sure is smooth and quiet.

"Interesting that he would think of an older GW as a good choice for a used motorcycle, he being a younger fellow - wonder what his thoughts are?"

Well... here's my perspective...

It's a liter-class liquid cooled, shaft-driven vehicle, capable of carrying plenty of stuff, and a passenger, comfortably, in somewhat inclement conditions, relatively easy to maintain, and nowdays, good examples are not hard to find at reasonable prices.

Granted, the average kid might not be looking for something to pull a travel trailer, but back when I was much, much younger, I set aside my first (KZ400) and second ('79 Sportster) for a CX500D with a plexi-fairing, and have had a fairing, liquid cooling, and shaft drive, a trunk, mebbie saddlebags, and a stereo as my primary requirements ever since.

One guy I knew, always rode crotch-rockets. He said "Girls like fast bikes, man"... and he always had a different girl on the back.

I didn't have quite as many, but I will note two things- 1) the back seat was very frequently occupied and 2) they weren't tired when we arrived at our destination... :thank_you:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=217510#p217510:3f8pgf39 said:
DaveKamp » 22 May 2020, 11:19[/url]":3f8pgf39]
"Interesting that he would think of an older GW as a good choice for a used motorcycle, he being a younger fellow - wonder what his thoughts are?"

Well... here's my perspective...

It's a liter-class liquid cooled, shaft-driven vehicle, capable of carrying plenty of stuff, and a passenger, comfortably, in somewhat inclement conditions, relatively easy to maintain, and nowdays, good examples are not hard to find at reasonable prices.

Granted, the average kid might not be looking for something to pull a travel trailer, but back when I was much, much younger, I set aside my first (KZ400) and second ('79 Sportster) for a CX500D with a plexi-fairing, and have had a fairing, liquid cooling, and shaft drive, a trunk, mebbie saddlebags, and a stereo as my primary requirements ever since.

One guy I knew, always rode crotch-rockets. He said "Girls like fast bikes, man"... and he always had a different girl on the back.

I didn't have quite as many, but I will note two things- 1) the back seat was very frequently occupied and 2) they weren't tired when we arrived at our destination... :thank_you:

I concur. I have been through over 100 bikes myself. The most modern was a 2007 Triumph 900 Daytona, and it was a killer! But I have to confess that my favorites have always been my '82 Silverwing Interstate, and my 67 305 Dream. My 81 Goldwing is old, but more than adequate, despite its age, just like me, lol!
It's also my grocery-getter, lol!

Was out today to recce the route that we will take, and to get some extra mileage on the bike. Have a maintenance/work list that I was going to do before putting it back on the road, but have deferred this to a bit later. Bike ran well, and still pulls strong up to 7000 RPM. Once these bikes are mechanically sound, and the extras are taken care of such as carb cleaning and such, these bikes are a treat to ride. Keep up on the maintenance and all is well.

Two types of GWs to get depending on your budget. Already on the road and in relatively good condition - nothing is 100 percent, or a "barn" find at low cost and needs work. Both will require maintenance, but one already on the road may keep the cost of ownership down.

Mentioned to my riding buddy who was on his Triumph Scrambler that it's a shame the schools systems have taken shop out of the curriculum. An enterprising young person might be able to find a niche regarding working on these older bikes - not necessarily the GW.

Two Goldwings ready for tomorrow:
Video Goldwings.jpg

Latest posts