The Wanderer - Part 2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194914#p194914:18ymeywq said:
slabghost » Yesterday, 3:06 pm[/url]":18ymeywq]
I'm sure you can make it work somehow. You've already done more than a few modifications.

It appears as though some wing owners have modified a gl1000 corbin gunfighter seat to fit a gl 1100 , but since it runs around $500 i might wait and see if the seat from Taiwan ever makes it here.

Here's the gl1000 sized to fit a gl1100 :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 9998793484

I do remember modifying a gl1200 a few years back with purchasing a triumph triple speed and making that work but it wasn't very comfortable.

I'm going to wait on Taiwan for my seat, see what happens.
I took The Wanderer out tonight, used seat from spare bike. Quite comfortable :good: Always amazed at the power of this machine. Wasn't really paying attention , I look down and I'm going 80, its just amazing how these old bikes hold up like they do. pulled up alongside some crotchrocket and left him in the dust, this bike is fast, very fast !! even on a single carb. I'm not selling this bike, ever :rocks: :moped:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=195076#p195076:15s6qzoj said:
made2care » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm[/url]":15s6qzoj]
... pulled up alongside some crotchrocket and left him in the dust, this bike is fast, very fast !!

I'm not really the argumentative type and really don't think I've gotten all that crotchity as I've gotten older, but I've gone through a lot of motorcycles over the last few decades. I've had some "fast" motorcycles (some of the more interesting ones: GS850/GS1000/VMax (x2)/ZL900 (x2)/Norton P11/Triumph T120V). In the last 7 years though, I've settled on the flat four (and flat six) designs because they speak to me. Smooth, efficient, ample torque and ultra reliable. They are not, however, what I would call startlingly fast.

So, I really have to throw a BS flag on the observation above. If that was a recent 600 or bigger sport machine, it was either wounded or the rider wasn't feeling competitive that day. Although the four cylinder wings do lots of things well, out running crotch rockets is not one of them. An '84 Standard 1200 would be smoked by an '84 GPZ750 Ninja. That's a 33 year old sportbike. The sportbikes today are lightyears ahead of that old Ninja. Even 600 class sportbikes today are untouchable on a Goldwing.

To my knowledge, there's not a 4 cylinder Goldwing in history that has run into the 9s in the quarter mile. Twenty or more sportbikes have done that beginning around 2000. That, gentlemen, is fast. I have a friend with a Yamaha 2012 YZF R1. He trusted me to take it out once. It's one of those 9 second machines.

I needed a good change of underwear after that ride. And I'm no wallflower on a motorcycle.

Have to agree, :roll: but on a serious ride of distance, the old wings leave the crotch rockets in the dust :smilie_happy:

Well all can say is ....people just don't have a clue on what a flat 4 motor can do ...when not hindered by stock cv Honda carbs ....with a good strait carb like a two stage weber ....the motor can run with about anything out there .....the bike frame holds hooch back ..not the motor

My brother, who lives in Reno, once teasingly challenged me to a mythical race when we were talking about our bikes; he on his forgettable CR and me on my OldWing. I countered, "Fine, but I get to say when and where". He replied, "Anytime, Anywhere!" So I told him I'd ride out to his house and we'd race back to my house in CT. He burst out laughing and conceded defeat. :smilie_happy:

I do love the mods people come up with to customize the look of the older wings, I wish I could have gotten a picture of one I saw the other day, an 1100 set up adventure style with taller tires front and rear, motocross style front fender and handle bars, and a different headlight, looked weird to me but if it works for you, go for it. Yours is very nice, I'll be doing similar with my 1000 soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195430#p195430:3ggu80jt said:
canuckxxxx » September 2nd, 2017, 10:17 pm[/url]":3ggu80jt]
I like that deep exhaust note. Is it way loud when you ride it hard?

I always wear ear plugs so if its loud, i don't hear it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196060#p196060:29p35wag said:
wedoo2 » Yesterday, 8:20 pm[/url]":29p35wag]
You changed the rear shocks. Do you know what the length of them were?

eye center to eye center, 13"

Okay, bike is acting up !! Have vw34 -pic3 single carb and she is fouling plugs again. Thought I had this problem fixed a few months ago !!
The carbon is dry and pretty pronounced on each plug. Appears this happened after the bike sat for a few weeks but I do put Stabil in gas.
My options:
1- Try Accel coils for better spark
2- new plugs and see what happens
3- try different single carb
3- ship off stock carbs to Mike Nixon

what would you do ?? I checked spark and they are all good. Increase (spark) when throttle opens, I'm assuming that's normal.

Latest posts