1980 GL1100 blown head gasket Again! Fixed!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This trueing up of the mating surfaces makes me wonder if many non genuine head gaskets are not cutting it when this hasn't been done correctly or not at all.

Say what ya want aboot this CGW group....we've proven that we ain't no QUITTERS! :yes: :clapping: :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149263#p149263:2qsrstpv said:
zman » Thu May 21, 2015 6:51 pm[/url]":2qsrstpv]
Glad you stuck it out, so many times folks give up and sell or part it. I think this is something that will help many wing owners to get it right the first time.
Thank you and yes, I hope others be brave and try things like this. It really was simple because of all of everyone's input & help. I know that I would not have done it without the help.
TNX again, Jim

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185737#p185737:257qybp0 said:
slabghost » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:48 pm[/url]":257qybp0]
Still running good? How many miles on it now?

Good news, bad news…
Yes, it still running but I had some steam coming out of the other side (right side) so I milled the block & head by hand. Then the speedometer was making a lot of noise & then the needle popped off. I know I had at least 500 miles without a speedometer (I pulled the cable because of noise) and then a friend gave me another speedometer but it was bad, so he gave me ANOTHER one. This one had 75150 miles when I put it on (Sept 2015) & I have 76570 miles on that speedometer today. So both sides (block & both heads) have been milled. The right side in May & the left side in Sept. I still ride every day (well if it's not to wet) and I'm an organizer for a small riding group here in Nor Cal. I have hosted a few ride over the past year & plan many more thanks to all of you guys here on the forum. One really great ride was a ride to Thunderhill Raceway Park and then to Nancy's Elk Horn Family Lodge. Nancy's is okay but the group that rented the track for the day (Keigwins@theTrack) let us go out on the track for a couple of laps. I think it may have been the first time ever a full dressed 1980 GL1100 has ever been around the track. Also maybe because it's a new track. It was just added about 3 or 4 years ago. I had a great time. And plan to head back out there again.
PS. :thanks: for asking.

I'm not surprised the other head gasket let go. Usually if one is bad the second isn't far behind. Good to know you have both fixed now. Nice you got out on the track. I've thought to do that a few times but haven't had the opportunity yet.