1983 GL1100A linked brakes.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw3dl1

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have figured out I am in the process of rebuilding an 83 Aspencade. I've wrenched on a few bikes so I'm confident in my ability that what ever comes my way, I'll be able to figure it out.
I bought the bike after it had been sitting for 25 years. It presently has 5K miles, so I believe by efforts will not in vaine.
The bike is presently sitting on my lift stripped to the frame.
To date I have rebuilt the Crabs, changed the timing belts, rebuilt the front shocks (bushing, seals and springs), cleaned the gas tank and installed new front wheel bearings. I've had the bike fired after the carb rebuilt and it sounds sweet, like a Honda with 5K on it.
Presently I am rebuilding the brake system. I've rebuilt the rear Master Cylinder and it works great. However, when I had it apart, I noticed the signs of old brake fluid build-up and thought, if it has build-up here, it has build-up through out the braking system. I decided to rebuild all of the calipers and the front Master Cylinder as well.
I ordered all of my K&L rebuild kits from Bike Bandit.
Everything was going well, rebuilt the Rear caliper without incident and bled it on the bench and found it to be strong and tight.
I took apart the right front caliper and placed all of the parts into the Ultrasonic cleaner and started taking the left caliper apart. At this point I noticed the left side caliper brake pistons were much bigger then the right side. I knew this was going to be a problem because Bike Bandit sent me two front caliper rebuild kits with the same part number.
I know the rear brake and the right front brake caliper are linked together. I also know the front brake master cylinder operates the left front caliper only. I did not know the two front calipers were diffrent sizes.
Bike Bandit didn't know either. They were very helpful but they could only refer to the parts schematic that appeats on their site which says that both calipers are the same size. They gave me K&L's phone number and I called them.
K&L stated their parts lists show the calipers to be the same size as well, but gave me parts numbers and dimensions for the braking system of a GL1200, that uses two diffrent sized front calipers.
I measured the O-rings from my bike and they seem to be the same as a 1200, 31mm and 38mm
Now I am wondering if the front brake master cylinder kit will work.
I know this is a long winded post, but I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation, and how was it redemied?
I'm going to check with Honda tomorrow, but I doubt they will be a wealth of information.
Any help will be appreciated.

I have the linked also but I couldn't say if the 1984 parts would fit.
The 84 is very similar in many ways and just might. Would be good to know.

Your not alone having this problem with the '83 kits from the suppliers. Someone else posted same a few months back.
Anyone remember what the solution was?

I visited a reputiable shop today, who's oppinion I trust.
They indicated that they have had this problem in the past with 82 & 83 Aspencades with linked brakes. They indicated that the parts fisch that Bike Bandit and others are using is wrong. The fisch indicates that both caliper use the same sized pistons, they do not.
The mechanic I talked to said he has experienced this problem and has had to measure the O-rings and find a rebuild kit that fits. He stated he has not had to do one of these rebuilds in quite awhile but he believes a GL1200 kit has the O-Rings that will work.
I'm going to take the pistons and calipers to them tomorrow to see if they can match up the parts I need.