205 lbs. compression?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joedrum":1gckhqim said:
dans something wrong on your end there nothing that different to cause whats going on .....recheck recheck .....i dont know what .....with no fuel pump drive it might be in there backwards or somthing ...meaning the cam im sorry i didnt look at this earlier...i bet thats what it is maybe .....that would have the close time hugely long ..... :mrgreen:

With a bolt hole and keyway at both ends? Interesting.

Some good ideas.

I checked the pulleys, they are the same in all regards.

The cam is in properly and so is the cam holder, there's no way either one can be put in backward or reversed.

Swapping left to right I'm not looking forward to but that may be the only way to nail this.

'nother stupid question. Is it possible that timing belts tensioners may be slightly different causing slightly different cam timing?

slabghost":2eh8bxnh said:
'nother stupid question. Is it possible that timing belts tensioners may be slightly different causing slightly different cam timing?

I did major work on a 1200 which is virtually identical cam wise belts and all as the 1000 and 1100's so I don't think that's what it is but I'm going to see if I can find top center of the piston to compare with where the cam is on the left side at the same point before swapping them side to side. I can't imagine anything would be different unless Honda indexed them differently at some point, the pulleys are exactly the same diameter, thickness, keyway, TDC marks with the "UP" at TDC.

the only thing i can think of is rather there is a difference in Land R cams maybe you have the wrong side in there .....the 1100s and 1000s cams are all mark left and right ...i think thats the only thing it can be dan... :mrgreen:

joedrum":2xhqkc9k said:
okay is it possible that you got the cam timed at 180 degrees off ...with the up indicator on the pully not facing up and timed it with the mark on the other side of the pully

I thought of being 180 off and checked it last night. The crank and both cams are at TDC on the crank and the pulley marks with the "Up", which is also keyway up. The pulley timing mark is at the the same place on both left and right pulley's.
I made sure to check this before taking it apart because there was a question if the wrong mark was used on the right side prior. It was correct.

The pulleys will go on in reverse but the belt won't line up properly so that's not it but you made me check it just now :grin: .

mcgovern61":1jcncmh6 said:
Maybe the seat is too tight?? Sorry, too much coffee today! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I thought of that and maybe the tires were low but alas, that was not it!!

I was thinking maybe something is up with the compression ratio.

The 1200 is rated at 185 lbs compression to the 1000 and 1100 compression at 171.
That could account for 14 lbs or so of the difference but then if factoring in this head may be a 1000 I wonder if that could make this up?

Kinda makes sense but the fact remains the other side is the same compression (155) with either an 1100 cam or a 1200 cam.

I do notice there are some raised edge marks on the head surface where the valve cover gasket contacts. Suspicious looking.
I wonder if someone had this head planed to increase compression.
The head gasket side looks ok, no markings like that. The only way to know would be to pull the head which I aint gonna do.

But then again the compression WAS 155 with the 1000 cam.

I don't know, maybe the stars are not aligning properly.

theres only 2 1/2 cc difference in 1000 and 1100 heads just a tiny cut around the head to match the piston idont think this could be a huge factor like your getting from the other side ....is the other side the matched cam in the set you bought :mrgreen:

scdmarx":39tke6up said:
joedrum":39tke6up said:
dans something wrong on your end there nothing that different to cause whats going on .....recheck recheck .....i dont know what .....with no fuel pump drive it might be in there backwards or somthing ...meaning the cam im sorry i didnt look at this earlier...i bet thats what it is maybe .....that would have the close time hugely long ..... :mrgreen:

With a bolt hole and keyway at both ends? Interesting.
Hard to catch you off guard ah Marx :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

dan filipi":278twhhc said:
slabghost":278twhhc said:

I did major work on a 1200 which is virtually identical cam wise belts and all as the 1000 and 1100's so I don't think that's what it is but I'm going to see if I can find top center of the piston to compare with where the cam is on the left side at the same point before swapping them side to side. I can't imagine anything would be different unless Honda indexed them differently at some point, the pulleys are exactly the same diameter, thickness, keyway, TDC marks with the "UP" at TDC.
Dan I thought belts were a bit longer on 1200? maybe 1 or 2 more teeth.That plus the cam could be making the difference :headscratch:

Latest posts