205 lbs. compression?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks big time Teri.
My wife had a car accident when she was 18, she's had screws and a steel plate in her ankle since with no problems so I'm sure you'll be fine after awhile. Hope that helps make it even just a little easier for you.

One day we'll get to the bottom of this high compression, hope you'll stick around here to help. Sure enjoyed our last phone call.

What would I do? I would change out the two cams, left and right just to see if there is any difference in my compression, if there is a difference then I know it's the cam making the difference...If not then I have no clue..

scdmarx":jjq0kr3c said:
Dang! No hope for the wing? Sorry it hurts. Get better.
Unfortunately no. It had frame and engine damage. Even both foot pegs were bent. The only undamaged panels were the side covers and the trunk.

Attachments

• Left-1a.jpg
    Left-1a.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 170
littlebeaver":29wp1q0t said:
What would I do? I would change out the two cams, left and right just to see if there is any difference in my compression, if there is a difference then I know it's the cam making the difference...If not then I have no clue..

How can a cam make the compression higher? This might be a dumb question but isn't reducing the size of the combustion chamber the way to increase compression? I would be looking for gas or oil leaking into the chamber, my Sabre only has 190 205 is Funnycar range!!

If the duration of the intake valve opening is longer and the overlap with the exhaust is less, then cylinder filling can increase, resulting in more "squeeze"

MSGT-R":3g0ueo5v said:
If the duration of the intake valve opening is longer and the overlap with the exhaust is less, then cylinder filling can increase, resulting in more "squeeze"
I can see that might work for a pound or two but do you really think that can increase the compression by a full 25%?

Dan did you ever figure out what happened?

No I haven't figured out why this is yet.
I sort of quit trying since it was running good, haven't checked compression in a while.
I'll try to do that when we get back from vacation.

mwbill37841":3tqwdihm said:
what's a vaction? :headscratch:
:headscratch: Hmmm. I dunno. I keep hearing folks talk about it. Might have something to do with runnin' away from home? :headscratch:

No, it's like finding Narnia, and locking the wardrobe that brought you there..

Never mind, I can't figure out how to post images here.
One more try.
1200 cam with tach drive attached.

P1010015.jpg

OK, here is how I did it. The drive gear is pressed on a shaft on the 1100 cam, heat it and it will come off.
P1010006.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

The shaft is an odd size, about 10.75mm. I found a head bolt from a 2.3 Accord engine is pretty close and the threads are 12x1.5mm. The 1200 cam has a centering hole so drilling it straight on a drill press is easy. The gear is hardened so drilling it is out of the question.
P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Screw the bolt into the cam, cut it off the length of the gear then tap the gear on, it is not tight enough so I welded the end and ground the weld down.
P1010011.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

The direction of rotation will keep it from coming off, loctite won't hurt though. I checked the gear for runout and it is close enough to perfect.

Latest posts