78 - tank gauges/7v reg. issues....solutions?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn. With no +12 volts on that reg feed wire it suggests a faulty wire splice in the harness maybe. Does that wire come from a plug? Maybe a bad connection there.
One thing I've found out about the wiring diagrams is they may not be accurate too so sounds like some opening of the harness wrap might be needed to trace that wire back.

kinda looking that way.

I would like to ask a 78-79 owner if they have power to the plug on the white/red. then I know for sure I have to go look for it. I probably do anyway as you suggest.

ok well that might be awhile - until later
thanks for the help

Temporarily place a jumper wire from batt to regulator and ground the same way. If problem goes away it's open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like where you are goin though - i'm not exactly sure what you mean.

So with the gauge cluster off the bike 7v reg. hooked up i.e. test the gauges? I would put a jumper from the pos. side of the battery to the white/red wire 12v in on the plug and a ground wire to the ground in on the plug ?

That would mimic getting power from the bike and I would get lights presumably, volts, but no fuel and no temp (not hooked up)

am I following? If I have that it should mean there is a problem upstream as in break / disconnect in the wire that supplies power.

all questions in my mind. I am no elec. wizard

Yes. What you are doing is supplying power and ground to the unit without having the bike wiring and or. connectors interfering. The gauges supplied by the 7 volt regulator would typically go to full scale high end or full scale low due to no sensor to vary the needle position. IF everything works then you have the choice of working back from the cluster wiring with a test light to each side of all connectors involved to determine where you lose the voltage. I am NOT doubting your question of the 12 volt wire, but these regulators were problematic. There is a source for them but I don't know if tapatalk rules allow telling who they are. So if you want that answer email me at [email protected]

Thanks Dan. I'm not always sure of the rules. The admin of Goldwingdocs.com has 7 volt regulators

I did test / put 12v to the white/red wire that goes to the 12v in on the new regulator I bought a while ago - don't remember where. At this point I am I assuming it is good, then again.
edit: sent power through white/red checked power at output of 7v. I have 7v :clapping:
The voltmeter came to life but I get nothing to the temp and gas - which I wouldn't expect. More puzzling none of the lights worked. I tested one of the lights with the battery and jumpers - good. I am assuming I'd get lights all around even thought temp and gas don't register.

Might that mean reg. is no good? Or if it is, is there another power source coming to the plug.
I'd love for someone with a 78-79 to test that plug with the key on and tell me which wires have power. Only the aux box has power to mine.

Dan you are right about wiring diagrams. I now have the plug ensemble apart and the wires that go to the plug for the gauges are almost all different colors coming into that plug.
One wire is jumped across to another connector. It doesn't look like it has been tampered with.

problem solved awk ago just now posting. My biggest doh! moment. I cannot believe I actually did this. Maybe its early onset of something..... :lazy: brain.
If I had posted more pics I'm sure you guys would have seen the error. I sent them to a GL buddy - well he didn't seeeeee it either. He offered to come have a look. We did a few tests then it just dawned on me as we were looking at things. Double Doh!

There is no other way to explain it other than I did not take a step back and just look at the thing.

Are you ready?

I plugged a red plug into a black plug. I know this isn't what honda intended but I did it anyway. No excuse but I was a little thrown off by the fact that I was getting power to the aux. - just coincidence. That and the red plug was in close proximity to the black one - I must have figured it went there end of report.

I've hooked these up on other GL's red to red duh!

I'm gun shy now. I've been doing a few other things in the same vein. Has me a bit concerned it doesn't spill over in the riding department.

Pure lack of concentration I reckon at this point.

And while I have not done these in a long while - I've tried to start the bike with the kill switch on, left the kickstand down and rode off, and got off without putting said kickstand down....
:crying:
I guess if it was a round plug into a square hole I most surely would have noticed. :rant:

I have a tendency not to trust someone who says they have not done any of those things Pony, it just comes with the territory, it just happens. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

HaHa Welcome to middle age Bro. I tried to ride my HD off with tha fork lock on made a complete circle in tha road right quick :Egyptian:

I tried to ride my HD off with tha fork lock on made a complete circle in tha road right quick :Egyptian:

I got a chuckle out of that! :smilie_happy:

almost did on another bike when I forgot to put the "reminder" cable on it.

I think in my case it might be approaching....old age. when is that supposed to start?

Latest posts