'82 Coil Wires and Ballast Resistor

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191561#p191561:lnqkwe5o said:
mcgovern61 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:44 pm[/url]":lnqkwe5o]
Cleaned up the brackets, removed the old wires and ballast resistor, cleaned up the terminal spades and installed the new ballast resistor and wire harness. I checked continuity between the front and back bracket and it is real good. I am not going to attempt to remove those old bolts from the coils without risking damage. Continuity is good, I'll leave it at that. The mounts being cleaned up will give a nice surface for the ground.

image.php
:good:

:ahem: Yes, coils must be grounded.

Every circuit (high voltage even more) requires a path to allow the electrical potentials to balance. Otherwise, the electron shortage created by the secondary coil when firing will seek a path through the air, your hand, back through the primary wiring, etc. The coils on older cars would zap you if the mounting bracket became corroded enough to prevent potential balancing. :shock:

This may not be stated correctly for all the electrical engineers out there, but I don't have an EE degree.

Latest posts