83 forks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple quick questions before cleaning up and reassembling.
image.jpg
First, isn't this backup ring upside-down?
image.jpg
Second, I never had one of these come out. It must go in the bottom of the slider. Anything wrong with just dropping it back in, or is this an indicator of too much wear?
image.jpg
It must go here. Never knew it was there or that there is an o-ring there. It's not in the manual.

Thanks for any response, Eric

oil lock piece B. On 1200's, Allan goes through it after the bottom, to hold everything together, if memory serves.

I've looked at parts diagrams at WesternHonda and they're hard to see for sure, except it could be missing some pieces. I can see the piece in the bottom of the other fork along with some more gunk to clean. It only perplexes me because I've never had them come out or seen any vids or how-to's that show it. I need someone knowledgeable to recognize it and how it has come free.

How about the retaining ring? It is upside down according to the manual.

I think they're 83, but may have some parts missing. I had nothing between the dust seal and snap ring, one of which "snapped." I need to find one of them. I think they are in the bottom of your sliders. They just aren't meant to come out. The piston (smallest one with the tapered end and spring on it) goes into this at the bottom of the fork slider. Then the Allen bolt goes into the bottom of the slider and holds the piston in this piece. It has four holes in it and I believe is to control the flow of oil. The bushings and seals look appropriate.

If my memory is right I remember something like that piece with the oring on my 83 CB1100F forks, they were trac forks too.
Edit: Yes for sure it is in my CB1100F service manual, called an oil lock piece.

Didn't know what exact nomenclature was on 1100's, just what book on 1200's called it. Glad you figured it out, O'rings for this piece had to be special ordered from the bearing shop, used spec's off Parts list to order, there again if memory banks are working right, seems shipping cost more than Orings. Most times they stay in the lowers, & you never see them, probably did half dozen or so front ends before a set came out when I disassembled the forks. Was wondering what the fu-- is this??? Looked at parts lists, & there they were.

Latest posts