83 interstate right head gasket weep

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldflash

Reaction score
Hello again from the freezing state of Conn. Well I braved my unheated garage once again to check out the possibility of a bad head gasket. Looking from under the right head I can see a small amount of coolant present/weeping right where the head gasket is. I never see any trace of it on the floor. My question is if it makes its way out the gasket does it mean its making its way in the cylinder? I don,t smell any sweet odor when I start the engine although as I stated in a previous post I do get some volumes of white mist/smoke thats gone in about a minute or 2. I dont know how much condensation could develop in the exhaust system to tell if that's normal. Anyone from my neck of the woods experience this? My next question is could I try to tighten the head bolts and possibly stop the weep and if I did are they easily to get at without tearing into the head to bad? I checked the oil and it doesn't look like chocolate milk. And my last question is where do I get a spin on oil filter adapter if they are available. Thanks for any help GF

my opinion is with the ifo you provided hasnt changed ...when your bike is running the pressure in the clylinders certainly outdose the water pump to push collant in there from the leak ....when you turn it off that gose away and the radiator pressure pushes coolant in the cylinder and quits when pressure and temp both come down ...then at start up it has to clear is what i think itis going on ive seen it before in a parts bike motor i have ...it was caused by wrong 1000 head gaskits installed on 1100

Thanks for the reply Joedrum. So if I understand you correctly the head could leak when its running and smoke/vapor would eventually clear and it would run without any smoke at all untill the next time i started it after the coolant had enough time to leak into the cylinder from pressure from the radiator? Makes sense- So the possibility of the head loosening up is false hope? Oh well Thanks GF

yes mot impossible but unlikely ....we are in the proccess of making a section on the forum that provides pics and videos ..that members can access to see things they may have to do ...head gaskit is not that bad as it sounds ...hang in there

The head bolts are easily accessed by removing the valve covers.

The coolant could be leaking from the thermostat housing or coolant tube, and running down the block, looking like it's coming from the head gasket. It could also be leaking out of the head gasket without getting into the cylinders - several possibilities here.

Before you start it again (wait a couple of days), pull the spark plugs and crank the engine. If there's coolant in the cylinders, things should get wet.

Like Dan said, even if tightening the head bolts stops the leak, I wouldn't trust it. Replacing the head gaskets isn't difficult, and it gives you a good opportunity to clean things up and change those timing belts!

I've seen the spin-on oil filter adapters on ebay, but I'm not sure where they come from.

Here's the head bolt torque and tightening sequence:

image.php

Just thought about this,
coolant has been known to leak out of the coolant crossover tubes, drip on the head, then make it's way through the spark plug drain holes then drip down below the head.
Because of the color of coolant and water and the engine color, coolant on top of the head can easily be missed.

I have of a few that mimic headgasket leaks. Try cleaning everything off and dusting with talcum powder. Start it up and watch, especially the coolant elbow. It may not show up until it's warm or until you shut it off.

You people are great! I now have some areas to look at that I hadn't thought of. It would be excellent to have a video of the process of changing the head gasket. I know that it's probably not that bad to change but never having done one before its seems a little daunting. But with a video I would feel real comfortable. Thanks again for the expertise GF

Have a look at this video of the cam gear markings because there is some confusion which is the right one sometimes.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2405

I do have a video I made on replacing head gaskets but haven't posted it yet.
I'll see if I can find it and post to the forums.

I would definately rule out the water crossover o-rings before I started a head gasket replacement. Cold weather has a way of making water leaks show up in o-ring (and radiator/heater hose ) joints.

Here is my video I made installing a right side head gasket.
It is the raw uncut, unedited version, about 26 minutes long.

I didn't make video of the head removal process, only it's installation because taking the head off is pretty straight forward.
Ask any questions here on the forum if needed about that step.

In this video I use Copper Coat on the head gasket.
Some say it's a good idea, others say don't use it.
I've been using it on cylinder head gaskets for over 30 years but you make your own choice.

HI ALL- Once again thanks for the info. I wonder if anyone would have a pic of the cooling system flow pattern for the 83/1100 engine from the radiator into the engine- like a cutaway view. It would be helpful to visualize whats going on when everything's running. Thanks GF

goldflash":1821fv3d said:
HI ALL- Once again thanks for the info. I wonder if anyone would have a pic of the cooling system flow pattern for the 83/1100 engine from the radiator into the engine- like a cutaway view. It would be helpful to visualize whats going on when everything's running. Thanks GF
Ohh...ohhhh....I got this one! Water goes in the top and comes out the bottom! :yahoo: (Did I help??)

Sorry, no cutaway here in New Jersey. :whip: