A Travellin' We Will Go

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a couple of update pictures. toolbox sort of on the drawbar and the bastard rear doors on and working. what a hassle i hade with them..... :head bang: bit of a weird focus thing going on in the pic of the doors. thats how my vision was when i was done with them....
image.php
image.php

well and truly time for some updates. there have been a few changes and quite a bit of travel since the last posts.
got the inside more or less done and a few more additions. here are some pics. first , a couple of solar panels mounted on the roof. backed up by an 80 watts, portable, fold out solar set.
2 Solar Panels.jpg

once the panels were on the roof and running, a battery monitor system was needed. other wise it's all guess work trying to figure out how much charge we have. this set up pictured tells me how much power is being used, how much is being produced and also the charge left in the batteries, as in percentage. very, very useful .
1 Battery Monitor.jpg

and here are some pictures of the interior, more or less done. i wanted to keep the feeling of 'headspace' so i have not put cupboards etc above any windows. it gives the feeling of plenty of space. nothing worse ( for me ) than feeling
squeezed in... :smilie_happy:
4 Inside 1.jpg

5 Inside 2.jpg

6 Inside 3.jpg

7 Inside 4.jpg

8 Screens.jpg

got some screens fitted on the outside , these were quite expensive, security type mesh that keep out most flying bugs as well as being able to sleep with windows open. i say most bugs are kept out, only had one teeny type of insect that was able to get in.... so far.... :roll:

here are a few more pictures of the set up and a couple of places we've been.
last year ,went over to South Australia , to the Yorke Peninsula, a place i'd always wanted to go to. then up to
Queensland and met up with Tony ( ANSIMP ) and also met one of the biggest Goldwing nuts i've ever met. those pics to come.
Gladstone.jpg

And we thought we had a big yellow bus. :Egyptian: this biggun was in Mount Gambier , South Australia.
Big Yellow Bus....jpg

Mount Gambier is famous for this blue lake. it really is that blue.... and the whole area has underground rivers and caverns, popular with divers. blow that.... :roll:
Blue Lake .SA.jpeg

dragging the bike with us has been the best thing. we can set up camp and then poke around on the bike. always get positive comments, well mostly.... :BigGrin:
18 lighthouse n bike.jpeg

where ever we go , i try to get into the little country pubs, it's a great way to ... have a beer.. :salute:
19 logan pub.jpg

Nice way to travel comfortable camper with the bike as well.
Rains, or turns cold, your warm & dry, as well as the bike.
Travel plans amount to very few plans.

towards the end of last year , i came to the conclusion that the trailer i built was not up to scratch. the ramps to get the bike on and off were a pain and it was just not wide enough.
so, we looked for another one. we found an enclosed trailer, 2 metres wide, 3 bike motocross originally. it has inside led lights, on board battery with exterior anderson plugs to run things and a small compressor. fire extinguisher .
the rear door doubles as the ramp and the roof also raises for more headroom when loading.
electric brakes ( more on those later )
it was a reasonable price , so we bought it. which left us with our original to get rid of. Father in Law put his hand up so it was just a question of how to get it from Brisbane,to back down near Melbourne.
enter eldest son ( truck driver ) he made a few calls and for the princely sum of one carton of beer the trailer was transported almost 2,000 klms . almost to inlaws door.
a couple of pictures of the new trailer , although i will say, i much prefer to tow the tandem axle. this one is single.
New Trailer 1.jpg

New Trailer 2.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212898#p212898:1558w2qy said:
Ansimp » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 am[/url]":1558w2qy]
No pictures of the rock?

haha. yes, pictures of the Rock aka Ayers Rock/Uluru on the way.... but first.. have a squiz at the dumb, and indeed, unsuspecting grin on this clueless galoots face when he suggests to the boss, " I know... lets go up to the Northern Territory . " what could possibly go wrong ?
22 big grin.jpg

also, along the way , we had taken possession of a mighty Postie Bike. dubbed a postie because Australia Post used these to deliver mail. now, they use an updated version. they go and go, you just cannot kill them....
22 post bike.jpg

so, off we went , over to Port Augusta ( the last town of any size before hitting semi desert conditions )
and were soon into salt lake country, heading north.
23.jpeg

24.jpeg

salt lake.jpeg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212946#p212946:3vrf2qvn said:
desertrefugee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:10 pm[/url]":3vrf2qvn]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212934#p212934:3vrf2qvn said:
joedrum » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:32 am[/url]":3vrf2qvn]
Wow no trees over 12” LOL

Makes Southern Arizona look like a rainforest.
haha. well, no offence , but please remind me never to go there.... i am not an outback fella. i like rivers and trees and hills and lakes. but, Uluru is in the middle of the desert so .....
first stop was Woomera. a tiny town which was built to be the base for a rocket range. used primarily by America and Britain. The US had communication bases there ( and still do in parts of the outback, Pine Gap for one ) the British were more into developing nuclear big boys toys and so moved a little westward to Maralinga. (still a no go area) it was a prohibited area until the early 80's, but now some of the rockets used ( and replicas ) are on display in the park and the museum.
26.jpeg
27.jpeg
28.jpeg

When you have come from the Aussie Outback which is all red dirt and spinifex We were amazed how green the Arizona desert is even though it is pretty harsh as well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212971#p212971:ynezk829 said:
Ansimp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 am[/url]":ynezk829]
When you have come from the Aussie Outback which is all red dirt and spinifex We were amazed how green the Arizona desert is even though it is pretty harsh as well.
well, to be fair, the landscape does change in a subtle way as you go along. from low saltbush scrub to rocky flats to patches of trees.
but mostly red dirt and dust. which causes a lot of newer vehicles some havoc. the dust gets into the sensors and sends them into Limp Mode. saw quite a few like that.
anyway, next stop was Glendambo. not much there, but did have a good pub..
Glendambo 1.jpg

met a chap there from Western Australia. he and his wife had ridden across through the desert. the big mean rear tyre on his bike caught my eye. turns out, he also has a blue 75 wing in Perth with a sidecar..
i might add we were battling very strong headwinds all the way. hard going for the bus, and no fun watching the fuel economy drop alarmingly...
Glendambo 3.jpg

Glendambo 2.jpg

Glendambo 4.jpg

Latest posts