Ali-BOB-ah returns!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk2valve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys....my oldwing rig is back on the road and I have been true to my theme of "Road Warrior/Department of Peace " ! I call him Ali-BOB-ah for being my magic carpet as well as a Beast Of Burden...
Here are a few photos of how he appears as he gets ready for a winter trip through Mexico.

The main changes are a blasted and powder-coated pristine 1980 frame without the ever present Goldwing engine guard pinches and dents on the down tubes.

A new clutch, new swingarm bearings, new steering head bearings, a solid rear brake rotor to replace the jingly floater I had used when I had the car tire wheel built....

Tons of boring little upgrades and farkles that aren't worth trying to list....I'm pleased he runs like a watch and purrs like a kitten. :yahoo:
Brian in NM

Attachments

• IMG_1612.JPG
    IMG_1612.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 204
Here is an additional photo...the bike is in a previous incarnation as you can see by the homemade hard bags and top case....but wanted to show the hammock pole....
Brian

Attachments

• Hammock up.jpg
    Hammock up.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 192
a no BS looking get the job done bike that looks likeit will go a long ways no problem....sweet my kind of fit and trim travel for sure rig :mrgreen:

nice shop ....and who says a fence has only one purpose :good: :rocks: :mrgreen:

Dan, the pole is kind of a copy from a guy I used to follow online...Pluto, an Irish/Canadian tattoo artist who traveled the world with his sidecar rig....his first rig, a Harley with a custom Velorex, he had set up with two poles so he could hang his hammock between them in camp....I thought it was genius since he found himself in the jungle, desert and all kinds of weird spots, and needed to make camp....no snakes or weird creatures for that boy! Plus he could camp anywhere, literally anywhere. I am not sure I have ever had an original thought. :nea:

Chas....there's an idea! Not a good one, but an idea... :roll: I do have my sticker mounted though... :yes:
Brian

Very nice, indeed.

I see you have a steering damper. Is low speed wobble that bad?
You said you would get tired on long twisties. Ever considered a raked triple tree?

Thanks Skiri,

I did have a low speed wobble when I mounted the damper originally which I think was due to an unavoidable lead or too much with my hack wheel....I have changed that by cutting and welding the Ural frame and mounts to a much better position and I just left the damper on the bike....

I broke one mount for the damper in the UP of Michigan on one tour and found that if I hit a bump a certain way with too light a touch on the bars and/or a one handed grip on the bars....it will go into a bit of a wobble without it...I am much more confident with having it on now. In fact i carry a spare.

As far as the T tree, I do have a Steerite alteration from Side Effects in Kamloops....I love it but the nature of an old back/neck injury plus years as an auto mechanic and all the solvents involved in shop work has caused me to lose a large amount of muscle mass in my arms due to nerve damage. They are just now finding that older mechanics have a lot of nerve damage due to the many solvents that are in the shop no matter how hard we try to protect ourselves from them and a lot of us old pharts had little use for rubber gloves and all, so are suffering from our ignorance. (let alone the liver damage!) But I digress.....so the twisties are tiring for me...but so are long hours in the saddle especially in the heat in my neck of the woods....good call though, thanks..
Brian

Sorry to hear about the solvant damages.
My friend in Japan was surprised to hear that I can readily buy aceton from Lowe's. It seems to be industrial substance in Japan and ordinary people can't buy them readily. But I guess it should be user's responsibility not government's. That lead restriction law for child dirt bike is silly though.

My previous rig (semi-leaner) had low speed wobbles. I needed both hands on the bar otherwise it felt like going out of control. The current unison leaner doesn't have any.

My first rig (CB750cafe + Velorex, rigid) had a very heavy steering. I called it a training gym on wheels. LOL.