Another 1800 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rednaxs60":36sqod5c said:
Very nice - great job. Like the red/black combo. When's the next project coming on line - second career bringing less than fortunate bikes back to life? Cheers
The bike will eventually be cabaret red, we've actually got our eyes on a couple of bikes coming to auction within the month, so it probably won't be long!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

And being the guy who sheepishly started the negative slant on this thread, I would just like to apologize for that right here and now. My thinking at the time was that it really wasn't a classic yet, and this place is about classic GLs.

Now I have to admit that I'm like Joe - damn impressed by the end result. It would be interesting to see a composite image of the pile of parts in the back of that pickup truck and what you have now.

Luckily, other folks on this forum are a lot more tolerant than I am. Especially since I'm the joker who just recently started a thread on a CBX. That's not exactly a classic GL either – although it is a real classic.

For your 1800, it's time to get that thing on the road it put some miles on it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201469#p201469:2sl4h4p7 said:
Fstsix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 am[/url]":2sl4h4p7]
If want to fit in with some real stuffy people try hanging out on a CBX forum ..as bad a as the BMW crowed lol :salute:

...especially if your CBX doesn't "measure up", i.e. is custom and not original.

Marvelous job fellas. I really enjoyed the pics without the plastics. Still can't resist pondering what a nekid version would look like, maybe with some old school analog gauges.

Well Tilly got some new dancing shoes today! I'm actually starting to figure out what all I'm going to have to do to register her, the owner before the guy I got her from lost the title. We're really close to legally riding this bike!
b6193e719fbe87c3e14efe0fa4356aab.jpg
bcff5720b120a891b8729cf5bec3cb81.jpg
d640fad9b5ae06c47320811863bf51ef.jpg
a7959fdb567a0a94d9b63ed3db4f9083.jpg

I know Shinkos are popular on GL1000s, but want to warn everyone that if you get an 1800, they can't handle the weight. Many reports of bad blistering. Had one do it to me. I know you aren't mounting them on this 'wing (Shinkos for the 1800 look just like D250s), but wanted to put this out.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=201815#p201815:stvurm0j said:
pidjones » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 pm[/url]":stvurm0j]
I know Shinkos are popular on GL1000s, but want to warn everyone that if you get an 1800, they can't handle the weight. Many reports of bad blistering. Had one do it to me. I know you aren't mounting them on this 'wing (Shinkos for the 1800 look just like D250s), but wanted to put this out.

Which model Shinko was that? So far I am happy with my Shinkos on Val but it is early days yet.

The majority of the Shinko line is of a much softer rubber compound, I believe. I used to travel quite a bit in the Vmax circles. That was the tire to have (rear anyway) because of the grip. And that bike begged for all the help it could get in that regard. I don't recall the exact model we were running, but it was VERY grippy.

I've had Shinko 712's on my '78 and have been extremely pleased with them. The rear is just about done at right under 10k miles. I would be happy to go with another one.

I haven't heard about the weight handling concerns. A frequent riding partner has 230 Tourmasters on his '05 'Wing and is quite happy with them. They've been on for about a year.

...and yes, that soft rubber doesn't last long.

I don't know the model number of the Shinkos that I ran. They were the only ones for the 1800 back in 2008/2009, and just introduced. I suspect they did not do any testing with full-sized Americans on board 1800s. Front developed multiple palm-sized blisters @~7800 miles. I replaced the rear also (didn't trust it), Honda Direct Line refunded my full purchase price for the front when I sent it back. This was only for the 1800. I have heard that sport bike riders love them, and other lighter bikes. The 900+ lb 1800 is just too much for them, however. Check gl1800riders.com for many other delamenation examples. I'll stick with Bridgestones or Metz front and darkside rear on the 1800 from now on.

I have the Shinko SE890 Journey on the rear and the 733 on the front. I'll keep an eye on them, but budgetary constraints dictated these tires for now, it's got to be better than the two bald tires that were on there previously.

I know that early Shinkos were a problem as my tyre guy refused to fit/supply them in 2013 here in Brisbane. I have been running them since owning the Rats Nest in 2013 and will continue using them even though there is not a great saving in price here in Oz in comparison to my first set in the USA. I did try the Metzlers Lasertech on the Rats Nest but it only lasted 3k klms as I believe it was not rated for the weight of a Gl1100.

Latest posts