Ansimp's '81 Resurrection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my impulsive purchase of the Rats Nest off Craigslist from the other side of the world I can finally relax. With all Steve's wonderful help and fantastic workmanship and my brother Kim's perseverance with the DMV and CHP the Rats Nest is legal and ready for our August adventure.
:salute: :party: :salute:

Excellent! Woo-hoo!
:clapping: :party: :party: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :music: :party: :yahoo: :music: :party: :clapping: :party: :yahoo: :yahoo: :music: :clapping: :music: :party: :yahoo:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82785#p82785:3hx56dzc said:
wadekj » Tue May 28, 2013 12:30 pm[/url]":3hx56dzc]Divorce is not an option, and sounds far to expensive from what I hear... I'll just have to ride them both equally so there is no jealousy...

Although the Rats Nest is still a bit of a dirty girl, as she was spraying right fork fluid up on my white helmet as I took it on a shakedown cruise along the Ortega Highway (SR-74). Better than lipstick on the collar I suppose...

:cheeky:
I prefer lipstick on the collar :mrgreen:

It's been a while, but the Rat's Nest was back in the garage for some final tweaks before Tony'a big ride. His main concern was the rear brakes - there were none! Turns out the circlip had come out of its groove because there wasn't much groove left! Corrosion had taken a good chunk out of the lip, so there wasn't enough metal to hold the clip in place.

I had another '80 master cylinder, but the piston refuses to come out! I soaked it, boiled it, even drilled it and screwed a long bolt into it - no go! So, time to improvise. A hacksaw, drill bit, and some steel wire should keep everything in place.

I'm gonna try coming up with some sort of adjustable pedal travel stop on the '83 frame to eliminate the downward pull on the master cylinder.

Here's Tony (Ansimp) and his "Rat's Nest" after we finished up. He installed LED lighting and an HID headlight for much better visibility and to ease the load on the stator.

He'll post some pics after he gets it all polished up. And then - a LONG ride! Be safe, and enjoy!!! :salute:

There is the adjustment for up stop. Might be able to mount a hook on it to catch the top to limit down throw. But that might limit brake power. Gotta be able to lock them up at times.

Unfortunately, the up stop adjustment relies on the circlip in the master cylinder to keep the pedal down. I have room in the garage now, so I can start experimenting with the '83 frame. There's gotta be a way...

Kim and I picked up Dad at the airport and then went to see Steve and how he was going with the brake repair. He came up with a great fix with the tie wire to hold the circlip in place so that the piston could not come out again. The front discs were badly gazed and quite ineffective in the stopping department. Steve took me to HF (woo hoo! my first time there) and we purchased an angle grinder and a 60 grit flap disc so that we could machine the front discs. After reinstalling the repaired rear MC and bleeding the brakes the front discs were removed and all signs of glazing were removed with our new purchase.
Kim advised me to check traffic routes with Google to get the best trip home but I elected to repeat my route from Thursday night. Apart from a minor detour by mistake through Pasadena and heavy congestion it was a great run home to Kim's ( gotta love CA lane splitting especially when following two CHPs ). Lost speedo on the 57 just before the 5 where I decided to fuel up as I was on reserve and didn't know how far I could go.

Here is a photo from this morning after the big cleanup yesterday

It was a pleasure, trust me! A fun bike to work on, with some interesting challenges along the way. Plus, I got to meet Tony and his family, and it's pretty cool knowing the bike is still going strong, especially considering it's upside down!

Latest posts