Any alternatives to the fairing edge trim on an Interstate?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I want to paint my Interstate.

I go back and forth on this - cause it looks like a lot of work.

Then again I am doing a bit of other paint on my 78 and I enjoy it. Its still a lot of work and a pita sometimes.

The thing I am pondering now is if anyone has come up with an alternative to the fairing trim on the outer edge. Its the u- shaped pc. that has clips that hold it on at each end. There is a right and a left of course.

Mine are so so so I'd like to not put them back on - wouldn't go with new paint - if ya know what mean..

thanks

The only thing that comes to mind is the door channel finish seals, this is the edge trim used in autos that fit between the interior and the doors opening, my link shows the size that this particular company offers..the top one is the largest.
I have seen some nice used ones for 15-20 bucks and even new ones once a year or so but usually 50-100.
https://www.steelerubber.com/edge-trim-seals

Thanks for that link. I saw some other stuff but it wasn't the right size. On second look it opens to 1/4". Not sure what the fairing is exactly - might work.

The first generation edge trim is ok until you try to replace it in 2016. Not sure what they did on later models.

I guess it worked for 1983.

the bummer is I had an extra set but I gave one side to a guy that bought a fairing off me. What was I thinkin? I still have the other one somewhere. So I would really only need one - can't remember which one though or where the other one is ha ha ha...
Nevertheless it would be cool to find a workable alternative. I might just get a little of that stuff and see if it would work. Maybe my local paint supplier would have some - they have some stuff like that.

Latest posts