Anybody else mixing oil in their gas?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is...just adding a little more info... :good:

Attention:
For anyone wondering where the discussion about fork oils went, it is now a New Topic, under FORK OILS. Please continue any discussions about that subject in that thread, and continue the discussion about oils in fuel in this thread. :mrgreen:

MMO is good stuff indeed but I like the effects of ATF in my fuel. Even my old car runs like a scared rabbit. :mrgreen:

rickyd":b2ohu73r said:
ATF (and MMO) are used because of their HIGH detergent content... 2 stroke oil won't hurt but it is usually non-detergent so wont really help. As a lubricant it will be thinned out by the fuel and unable to bond to any surface substantially enough to act as a decent lube.
i agree with what you said. MMO or ATF are better for that job. i use MMO in the gas every couple of tanks unless i'm filling up two or three times a day. and once a year in the oil as well

I had NEVER heard of adding ATF to fuel until I got onto this site. . .

Thankfully, I have had absolutely NO engine / carb / tranny problems with my bike since putting it on the road last March. I had to replace the starter and the starter solenoid, put in a new battery and do some brake pads, but that's been it.

Everything I've read about the ATF/Fuel has made sense to me, though. I am definitely going to try it next season.

One question though, and it may seem kinda stupid but, would that work on ALL engines? My son rides a CBR950 and my wife's cage is a Hyundai Elantra....Safe to add ATF to those? Most posts said 6-8 oz per tank. Figuring about a 5 gal tank, would I increase that x3 for the car, which has about a 13 gallon tank?

Ok, that was two questions........sorry, my bad.

Perfectly safe for all motors. I've been using 1 qt on my cage fillups but obviously more can be used. If you want to put more in you can exhaust will smoke a bit blue when you get to a point but it will clear quickly and you can reduce the amount next fillup.

slabghost":2i84687y said:
Perfectly safe for all motors. I've been using 1 qt on my cage fillups but obviously more can be used. If you want to put more in you can exhaust will smoke a bit blue when you get to a point but it will clear quickly and you can reduce the amount next fillup.

Thank you for that. . .

But my son just brought up another point/question. Ok on carb AND fuel injected systems?

I ran the ATF in my 'Wing most of last year, and then stopped...I wasn't really all that excited about the slight smoking I was getting on cold startup. Then, the last 4-5 fill-ups I did this year, I started back putting about 6oz in each tank. My mileage definitely went back up, and it does seem to idle, and run better. ATF does work, but you do have to deal with a very small amount of smoke when starting. SOME of my issue may be due to one or more of my carbs leaking. At this point, I'mma gonna live with the smoke to get that extra 10 miles to the tank. :good:

Sorry to once again resurrect an older thread….

Am I to understand that by adding 8 oz., or so of ATF to my fuel every fill up, this will do the same thing as adding Sta-bil, Seafoam, or the other magic potions? Or, is it still a good idea to add Sta-bil to a tank now and again in lieu of the ATF? Is there really a right or wrong answer to the question? :Awe:

I don’t see long term storage being an issue. My bike will get ridden, but I’m all about doing everything I can to make her run better and last longer. :good:

Mark

MarkB":2herfe4i said:

Am I to understand that by adding 8 oz., or so of ATF to my fuel every fill up, this will do the same thing as adding Sta-bil, Seafoam, or the other magic potions? Or, is it still a good idea to add Sta-bil to a tank now and again in lieu of the ATF? Is there really a right or wrong answer to the question? :Awe:

I don’t see long term storage being an issue. My bike will get ridden, but I’m all about doing everything I can to make her run better and last longer. :good:

Mark
Adding ATF replaces any other additive in the fuel. Don't worry about resurrecting old threads....this info is here to be seen and reviewed regularly, always with new questions and answers. Of course, that is the point of the forums!

mcgovern61":2ez910c6 said:
MarkB":2ez910c6 said:

Mark
Adding ATF replaces any other additive in the fuel. Don't worry about resurrecting old threads....this info is here to be seen and reviewed regularly, always with new questions and answers. Of course, that is the point of the forums!

Well cool, then. I've run a few tanks through the old girl and haven't added a thing. I think I have a bottle of ATF at home, think I'll throw some in the tank!

Mark

I agree run the atf.

It is a much safer cleaner than many off the shelf cleaners which I think by running them through old carbs and seals is asking for trouble. ATF will lubricate as well as clean.
Supposedly Seafoam is completely safe but ya never know until someone reports having trouble after using it.
IMO, if it aint broke leave it alone.

I did use Seafoam in my lawn mower and gas trimmer and the gas line between the tanks and carbs disintegrated. Local shop guy says the material (more like a plastic hose) does not hold up to Seafoam or other cleaner type stabilizers.

Thanks for reviving this thread! Otherwise I prolly wouldn't seen it. As a person who this season is getting BACK on his 1978 Goldwing after 16 years. I remember I used to put MMO in the tank once in a GR8 while. I see in reading this thread the benefits of using MMO & ATF in your gas seems to a definate plus. My question is...........On the 1000 GW's the slides on the carburators would get sticky after a while. Would using more oil in the gas also be a prevenitive measure to this problem?
My riding buddy rides a Kawasaki Voyager. Every once in a while he gets a loud lifter noise. Would this help him with his problem?

slides yes ....lifter noise on kaw ...idont think so ...not when mixed with the gas....when i took the carbs off my 79 it was cleaner than when i cleaned them ...they had been on for yrs and yrs