Anybody ride/ridden a Yami FJR 1300?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda interested in this bike.

While I like my GL1100 and my project 1000 (which I will finish regardless) I think I'd like to change it up.

I was thinking do the C5 upgrade on both and call it good.

Then again change can be good albeit expen$ive - if ya know what I mean..... :shock:

The upright seating on my 1100 is perfect. I'd like to replicate that as much as possible.
There are options for risers....

The modern features on a newer bike have me leaning a bit in that direction i.e. abs brakes especially.

I've looked at other brands but like yamaha for the reliability factor.

I got on one fjr forum - of course they all love the bike.

Just looking for some other opinions.

Thanks

IMG_0206-1.JPG

I owned this one, I can give you some unbiased answers.
Whatcha need to know specifically?

Terry,

How's the wind protection?

And the upright seating position?

Would it be or could be very close to my 83 interstate?

Are these kinda meant to be ridden fast? I could but probably wouldn't so maybe not my kinda rig.

How's the maintenance and quirks? Pita or easy peasy?

Not seriously considering just seriously curious in case I get serious :lust:

was that an 07? The going rate for those with 25kmiles around $5?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171612#p171612:ehfqzmby said:
Pony Ruiz » 7 minutes ago[/url]":ehfqzmby]
Terry,

How's the wind protection?

And the upright seating position?

Would it be or could be very close to my 83 interstate?

Are these kinda meant to be ridden fast? I could but probably wouldn't so maybe not my kinda rig.

How's the maintenance and quirks? Pita or easy peasy?

Not seriously considering just seriously curious in case I get serious :lust:

was that an 07? The going rate for those with 25kmiles around $5?

Some of the answers to your questions would be up to an individuals preferences and fall under the it depends category, However, I will give you my honest opinion to those paticulars.

Wind protection was fair and adjustable with the OEM windscreen but not nearly as complete as an all out tourer like a Goldwing.
Many go to the aftermarket to improve this.

There are two seat positions with an inch of height adjustment. Riding position is more forward and sporty but nowhere near sportbike like, kind of a compromise between upright touring ans sport. I added some risers to bring the bars up and back which made it very near upright, big improvement and relief to the wrists.

It would be nothing like your 83 Interstate, totally different genres.

They are fantastic handling bikes with razor sharp tip in and adjustable suspensions. You can ride your ride slow, fast, or inbetween they won't complain.
They do really accelerate and perform well for a Sport Tourer with great straight line performance also like mid to high 10 second quarter mile times possible and true 155+mph top speed. Their braking is also in another total dimension, very sportbike like.

Maintenace and such was super simple much easier than a GW.

Yes mine was a 2007 model that I purchased new locally.

I hope this helps you decide. I loved the bike and may buy another someday as new models have improved in many areas including a real cruise control.
That being said, I come from a background of sportbikes and love sharp handling and earth rotating thrust. :BigGrin:

Thanks.

Its a process. Got to have the upright seating (shoulders/hands). The wind protect on my Gl is perfect. Close to that would be nice. I would like a little more power and better brakes. I feel good about the reliability of yamaha. it is rated #1 for a reason I suppose.

If I do this I don't want to spend more than $5k ish.

You could adapt the front off one to the wing along with the brakes. Drop in a 1200 and Hooch it and you save about half or more in cost and get the best of both. A project I'd sure follow.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171604#p171604:23a2anhj said:
joedrum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:13 pm[/url]":23a2anhj]
I look at them ....nice bikes but they look like not travel bikes for 1000 mile trips
I did a 600 mile one day trip on the mighty ST 1300 last year and that was before adding handlebar risers. had the grip puppies installed and a sargent seat, every thing else was stock. it is not as comfortable as the wing but very do-able, I plan to ride the mighty ST 1300 on my next IBA ride in june

SlabG: Ha, Ha, Ha, You wander off like that a lot? :yahoo: Thanks for thinkin of me!

If that was even doable Project would be the operative word. As in I don't have time for the ones I have - let alone the bikes.

I'm not flu$h enough to buy a new one but a used 2005,6,7 go for around 5k.

I could probably do that if I sell a couple wings - I'd be half way there maybe.....

I don't want to be one of those guys that buys a new(er) bike and then sells the others to pay for it. I am capable tho - I have experience :head bang:

Yes I'm really good at wandering off like that. I'm allergic to payments so I don't even consider "new".

Latest posts