Anyone out there? Stranded with what is probably obvious to old timers.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL1000
Z125
Stuck on side of road. Turn signals stopped working, then just died. Turns over but will not start. Lights on dash work. Found blown 15 amp fuse and replaced it, no go. Fuel in tank. Tried on and res. No plug wrench to see if spark.

Whelp, while my coworker was off grabbing his trailer for me, I rechecked the fuse that I put in place of the blown fuse. As soon as I grabbed it the metal separated from the glass. I didn't have any more 15s so I stuck a 10 in its spot and she started up. She blew the fuse shortly after, but at least I found the culprit. Attached is the solution I used to get myself to my destination.

Attachments

• 20230903_081257.jpg
    20230903_081257.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Okay, got her all sorted out. Rear turn signal bulb died in the ol' glass separating from the cap way that makes removal a huge PITA. Got it out and replaced with one I had lying around and turn signal works. No more fuse pops. The 1000 amp fuse saved me without killing anything else.

Side note: This thing is running buttery smooth now. I absolutely love it. And as fate would have it, my wife gets back pain when she riding so she wants something with a backrest. Would this fit a 1978? 1977 HONDA GL1000 GOLDWING Seat Saddle Aftermarket ROAD COMMANDER w/ BACKREST | eBay

I don't know, because I don't know what your riding (please add to your bike list) and I'd ask the vendor. They might know? Maybe someone that has owned both would know?

Calling @pidjones might know?

Last edited:
It would probably fit, but you would hate it as it would shove your "package" into a small area. K&Q seats were real popular on GL1000s, and now they are real popular to remove.

BTW. pidjones is kind of laid up right now with bumps, bruises, and a separated collarbone. A week ago, a car pulled in front of me on my '76 RD400c. I ended up in the ditch. The bike worse - she's totaled. Thank God for looking over me and convincing me to be ATGATT!

It would probably fit, but you would hate it as it would shove your "package" into a small area. K&Q seats were real popular on GL1000s, and now they are real popular to remove.

BTW. pidjones is kind of laid up right now with bumps, bruises, and a separated collarbone. A week ago, a car pulled in front of me on my '76 RD400c. I ended up in the ditch. The bike worse - she's totaled. Thank God for looking over me and convincing me to be ATGATT!
Oof! Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up quickly. Any good options for a passenger backrest? I really like the Sargent seat it has in it now, but I need a way to give my wife a backrest. I think eventually we are just going to give in and get a full dresser, but that will mean this beauty has to go.

Attachments

• received_688701293167258.jpeg
    received_688701293167258.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 0
There once were package trays that mounted in place of the passenger grab bar. Some of them had adjustable/removable passenger backrests. The package trays were very useful for attaching things with bungees.

This one is in my shop to be worked on, I think that's the backrest Pidjones referred to. Maybe you could mix & match a topbox rack from an interstate 1100 with an aftermarket box with padding on it. Then the box is removable when not needed.
There once were package trays that mounted in place of the passenger grab bar. Some of them had adjustable/removable passenger backrests. The package trays were very useful for attaching things with bungees.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-04-20-12-59.png
    Screenshot_2023-09-04-20-12-59.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This one is in my shop to be worked on, I think that's the backrest Pidjones referred to. Maybe you could mix & match a topbox rack from an interstate 1100 with an aftermarket box with padding on it. Then the box is removable when not needed.

That is exactly what I am looking for. I haven't found anything that clearly fits the GL1000 yet though. Would an 1100 rack fit for sure?

Beautiful bike by the way. Blows my mind that hardly anyone makes standards like these anymore. The Kawasaki Z900RS and Z650RS seem to have rediscovered the magic. I hope it catches on.

When I get that red one dismantled, I'll check to see if an 1100 rack fits it. The 1100 rack has quick-connect features to hold the std top box, which has a backrest built in.