backlander/V decide to end joedrum wire nut tech LOL

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmm i guess no ones impressed by this tool LOL...im not impressed by the cheap crimpers either

i guess ill strip everything down and get ready ..i have a pair of the cheap crimpers

ok ive got an idea of what i want now ..ill see if i can find one ..open barrel 14-16 gauge wire ...my brother going out today and has a connector and try and find something decent to use ..im stripping the bike down

Good luck on the wiring. I find wiring to take longer than doing some of the mechanical projects.

Have three relays installed on my bike now: one for the FIAMMS Freeway Blaster horn upgrade, one for the side stand interlock/indicator light circuit and one for the accessory fuse block I installed. These bikes like relays. Would have been nice if Mother Honda had consolidated and used the same relay for the different circuits, especially the four pin relays. This is something I've thought of for another project down the road should I need to replace a relay.

Cheers

Best time to get those mundane tasks out of the way. :builder: Never a great time to do them, :nea: but making the most out of down time, makes them a much more enjoyable task. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188467#p188467:xl9onphh said:
Denver » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 am[/url]":xl9onphh]
Best time to get those mundane tasks out of the way. :builder: Never a great time to do them, :nea: but making the most out of down time, makes them a much more enjoyable task. :good:
+1 :yes:

pic of what auto store has to offer to use

image.php

image.php

image.php

open barrel connector ...

ok will it work im having problem seeing it ...says nothing about wire size on it ..mm crap

Here's a couple pics of the crimp tool I bought from the supplier of the connectors. It's the one used to build the harness you now have. It is a ratchet style and releases when the crimp is made. Its very heavy duty.
IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

I don't know V if they will work or not, I couldn't see how the dies where made in the picture but it does look similar. Joedrum, go to vintageconnections.com and click on the "tools" button and it will pull up the crimper tool and the different die sets that can be purchased.

well the tool is nice backlander but ive lost my help on trying to get the tool ..so im going to just put off the wiring after days just trying to get a dam tool ....its amazing how you cant get anything useful at the stores anymore ....its like there trying to make cash useless in a back door way of nothing out there local and if you dont have pay pal ..plastic magic ...you cant get it :rant:

The ratcheting crimpers are the best there is. All of the ones I've seen have removable dies. The set I bought has 4 sets of dies for different wire gauges, as well as different terminal types. The only thing with them is you have to be absolutely sure the terminal is on the wire properly, and you set the terminal into the dies correctly the first time....once you start mashing it down, it ain't gunna release until you hit bottom. Learned that tip the hard way! :rant: :hihihi:

ANY decent crimpers will work if you have the right sized terminals for the wires. Plus, if you're using un-insulated terminals that Joe pictured above, a nice crimp can be finished off with a hit of solder and some shrink tubing(or tape). That's how I've done the stator connector on my '81, and it's still making good contact. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188493#p188493:2vubnf85 said:
joedrum » Today, 7:05 am[/url]":2vubnf85]
well the tool is nice backlander but ive lost my help on trying to get the tool ..so im going to just put off the wiring after days just trying to get a dam tool ....its amazing how you cant get anything useful at the stores anymore ....its like there trying to make cash useless in a back door way of nothing out there local and if you dont have pay pal ..plastic magic ...you cant get it :rant:
Yeah yeah, everything is a conspiracy.

You need two different crimpers for the insulated crimps ( like the first ones you posted in your pics Joe) and roll crimpers for the barrell style crimps in the last photo. A good set of manual crimpers have been my favourite for years as I can use different wire gauges into the same crimp and vary the crimping rate quickly. The best set I have owned were genuine Bosch and a fairly thick section and did over 15years of professional? Work until they were stolen in 2013! :head bang:

Practice a couple of crimps joe, it takes a little practice to know exactly where to place the connector in the tool and I used the middle position for those connectors. Also on the tall tangs of the connector kind of fold them towards the middle of the connector, insert the connector, ratchet one click and it will hold the connector in place so you can use one hand to insert the wire to the proper position. It takes just a few try's to get it down right and it will make perfect tight crimps. Glad you got one and good luck. :music:

Latest posts