Bertha's Single Carb Conversion Chapter Deaux Plus a major transplant revival

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And when I am right, I am right, yea the short throttle pattern was too quick for the ol girl. Changing the ratio on the linkage made a huge difference in everything. Its controllable from start to stop, I rarely have to touch the brakes, it shifts much easier, I am not "pushing" the bike so hard. It eases into the powerband and actually settles in quite nicely. I went out 30 miles and back, 60 miles round trip. The needle moved one click, which I think they are a little less than a gallon. But at 70 open, its 45 mpg, even tempered, and holds the wind. Very little to no lag from primary to secondary. I am not hitting that pump nearly as fast or hard, and the easier throttle has made a HUGE difference.

Hands down, the best 60 mile run I have had on a bike all summer, hands down. I still need to jet to get everything smooth and ironed out, but the bike is definitely ridable.

The project thus far barring any weird break in items or old bike barn gremlins, is definitely a success....

Yea, I know of like four of five other bikes that can be had cheap, all carb related.

Interesting process and I think it has some potential to get some others on the road again.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=126190#p126190:2j0lcqwc said:
wbishop » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 am[/url]":2j0lcqwc]
Congratulations Kraig!!! And to think at one point you were ready to part it out!! :)

Still early days yet! :smilie_happy:

Exactly, and hey I may need a stator now, so that scrap heap might not be too far away...lol...that one should be fairly straightforward though.

Running pretty good. I think I need to redo my adapter (wood) as I developed a slight vacuum leak, but I will be looking into it this week. I have some work for customers in the shop.

And I am buying some premium grade 3/4 inch plywood for a ramp into my bike barn as the heavy ol girl is breaking my flimsy one, so I am going to make and adapter out of scrap from that project, and apply a resin compound on all surfaces and paint it before it goes on the bike.

And the charging system is outstanding now, its a relief to see a steady 13 Plus volts on the meter even when I rode through town. IF I am stuck in traffic and the fan kicks in it stays ran at 12 plus volts. I am saving up for a MOSFET RR as I am a fan of that style and use it on all the used bikes I keep around. Until than I am making a pigtail harness with the 8 pin connectors to move the current RR off the battery box and put it up in the fake tank shell where it has room to breathe better, it get a little to warm for my taste in the current spot. And I also got the bags finished, I just need to go get a universal electronic blinker relay that works with all light styles. The bulbs in the small round lights that I have wired for the new rear turn signals. I will get that today.

Oh and I am ordering some jets based on info that dan put on another thread, but I that has to wait for a bit until the eagle takes a crap (when I get my VA Disability check).

Latest posts