Bottoming out.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:hi: The original reason for adding air to the shocks back in the 60s was to get a faster rebound on dirt racing (motorcross) bikes. Usualy the oil weight was also verried depending on the riders style and weight......just a little history from an old fat man who did not ride fast or slow just half fast :yahoo: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Bob

OK , I drained my front forks today , removed the short Air Line between each fork tube cap, I had the front of the bike hanging with a Come-Along from the Raffters, anyway ... when I removed the Caps there was a short piece of spring about 5" to 6" long sitting on top of a long fork spring . so..... is that the Progressive springs ??

Attachments

• short fork spring +.jpg
    short fork spring +.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 83
but then, I replaced the drain plug, I put it 7.4 oz. of ATF in each side , replaced the short spring on eachside , and THEN is where the problem was....... I was havin' a heck of a time holding the spring down and screwing the fork tube caps back on...... sooooooooo , I made this . It's only a cheap Spark Plug Scocket and I cut each side out of the scocket....... works like a Charm. I have no idea how you guys have done this , and you may already have a better plan . but it sure worked good for me , and I wanted to share it with everybody.

Attachments

• THE Answer +.jpg
    THE Answer +.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 82
I like your custom tool.
The way I do it is lay a rag on the cap then clamp a vise grips on. Your way looks easier.

To answer your first question, you have stock springs. Progressives are one piece.

Thanks Dan , well........I had no Idea about the springs....... I just thought maybe somebody had as much trouble getting the Caps back on as I did.........and with a Scocket and an Extention and Ratchet , it's easy to push it down and turn it at the same time......... Before I made the tool , I tryed several times with no luck , I guess I worked 30 minutes making the scocket , but after it was made ........I had both caps on in just a few minutes.