Broke down at work 2-10-17

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186859#p186859:2uhsf3ah said:
slabghost » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:23 pm[/url]":2uhsf3ah]
Try putting the key in the ignition and turn it off and on 4- 5 times. If the switch is bad it might work after that.

I did try that, with the run knob and the start button too.

I was just talking to Dan and I'll try bypassing the dog bone altogether tomorrow morning. Just to see if anything related to the dog bone is the problem.

~O~

Looking at the wiring diagram, it shows the large dog-bone fuse(55 amp) goes to the alternator, and the fuse box/relay center on the left side of the bike...from there it goes on to the iggy switch.
The smaller, blade style fuse(30 amp) on the starter solenoid goes to the ignition switch, radio, CB, LCD display, etc.

I would first check for 12v on the alternator terminal to confirm/deny it has battery voltage, and check for battery voltage on all of the fuses in the left side fuse box. No voltage either place means there is a problem with the doggy-bone fuse/connection, OR in the wiring from the fuse to the alt/fusebox. If the fusebox is dead, the rest of the bike is also....so that's where I would start... :yes:

Of course, you also need a good ground from the batt to the frame, so check that too.

Couldn't you just do a continuity test between the poles on the fuse? Even if fuses look good they sometimes aren't. I learnded the hard way.

Thanks again for the continuing help. Janet asked me "are your friends helping you?" I said "honey I've got the best GoldWing minds in the country on my side, I can't fail." :good:

~O~

Success!

I tried the dog bone bypass first with no joy. The second thing I checked was the 30 amp blade fuse behind the dog bone and that was the problem!

Bike running fine now. Thanks again folks for all your help and ideas. Gawd I love this community. :good:

Now to attend to them brakes! :Egyptian:

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186881#p186881:2yp72nb9 said:
joedrum » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:57 am[/url]":2yp72nb9]
way to go joel pick it right off ....randy moving ...getting to know your wing is priceless ...keep some spares randy ......

Plenty. :BigGrin:

~O~

Any ideas what caused the fuse to fail Randy? Super boosting the stereo, multi video cameras or other power hungry accessories maybe? :doh:

Maybe an overloaded acc circuit. I don't know... fine I left this detail out on purpose but since I feel it's now relevant, I had recently got my LED strips working again. The deal is I have to run a slightly stronger fuse in the acc on the fuse box. I want the lights so I live with it.

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186931#p186931:2vkjgdvk said:
Omega Man » Today, 9:37 am[/url]":2vkjgdvk]
Maybe an overloaded acc circuit. I don't know... fine I left this detail out on purpose but since I feel it's now relevant, I had recently got my LED strips working again. The deal is I have to run a slightly stronger fuse in the acc on the fuse box. I want the lights so I live with it.

~O~
So strong and higher load that it blows the 30 amp main? I think something else going on. Chaffed wire, something shorting.

Latest posts