C5 install on 1100 with 77 cams

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well I finally pulled the trigger.

Got me a C5.

I read the directions, but sometimes (often) when it comes to mech/tech/elec. stuff i've never done before, I either read too much into it, not enough or something gets lost or left out in translation. In spite of myself I have managed to do/fix things on my GL's. That is partly why I do it - to learn and learn some more. I just wish I could remember it for the next time haha. Old people.

I'd like to read up . check on a few threads where folks did this so when I do get around to it no stone is left unturned. If you have any links that would be great or I will do a seach. Is there a definitive thread or install vid?

The first thing I need to do is take out the stock cam and replace with the 77 cam I acquired.

Anything I should know/watch out for in this regard?
Thanks

Replace both cams. A number of folks have installed the C5 so if you have any questions be sure to ask and wait for the answers. Dan and Joe and wilcoy have c5 along with others. Installation is pretty straightforward. Paul has made his instructions as simple and easy as he can. Try not to over think it.

I was pretty much the same way when I first installed the C5 on my 1100 motor - I unnecessarily over-thought it. Paul's instructions are right on the money. When I installed it on the 1200, I knew better in many ways. I didn't over-think the installation but I also knew that I when it comes to installing the C5, don't skimp on the wiring.

You will not regret that purchase!!!

don't skimp on the wiring

as in? :roll:

I have a couple dumb questions (clarifications) already and I've not even started.

here's another one.

there is a little circled note on the instructions re: "cam end play should not exceed .020" where exactly are we talking? there is the cam and then the end play, a not to exceed space of .020" as it were....between where and where? I don't see drawing of this so I'm not really sure where the measurement is taken..

thanks.

that sounds reasonable as far as keeping a proper spacing.

I'm just trying to pin down where exactly the end play is, i.e. between what and what.

Is it between the toothed wheel and the optical reader or the base unit or between a washer and a nut??

I'm sure I'm overthinkin it but so be it. "play" to me implies movement as in at a brake lever.

I'm guessing this is not what it refers to here - things are fixed and bolted down so It a space of some sort to be measured.

correct?

When I'm unsure about "end-play" I wiggle it and if it seems reasonable snug I say to myself, "That's about .020!" and move along. :smilie_happy: Works most of the time. For what its worth, Dave

sometimes numbers are put out there ...and its liike a stick in the spokes if you take it to seriously....the cam fits in the cam carrier and into the slot in head ...its not perfect but it also not adjustable .....when the disk is mounted on the c5 there a spacer provided to do this ...thing here is to make sure it pretty well centered between the reader...so that it dosnt hit anything ...its like theres no way a spacer can be made that totally fits every situation perfect.....on one install i did ...i file the spacer a bit to get disk a little more centered .....its about the only thing in c5 install thats needs to be look at closely ..witch isnt much ...dont over think this part ....

as for early cams in 1100 ..the pistons are cut different in the motors with these cams ...than motors that didnt have them ...ive put early cams in 1100 motor several times and never had a problem here ....but you always have to consider the fact someone may have shaved the heads to death doing head gaskets and this might cause a problem ....theres some who have shaved heads 40/1000 ...and that could be a problem ...just make sure you rotate motor by hand to make sure nothing hits with plugs out of motor so you can feel things the best when rotating by hand ....

this is a great boost in 1100 motor as in running stronger ...i had to motors set up this way the angry dresser was fast bike even all dressed up ...you will be happy with this set up i bet .....

thing here is to make sure it pretty well centered between the reader
makes sense but what threw me off was the pic on pg. 8 of C5's online https://www.c5ignitions.com/uploads/1/5/ ... _coils.pdf
instructions where the arrows don't point to a space above and below the pic up but to the shaft. I did kinda infer that but to me it was not perfectly clear - the arrows didn't point there. On the paper instructions that came with the unit, there is just a circled note above a drawing stating "cam end play should not exceed...."
so when the whole thing is bolted down properly there is .020 of play front to back movement on the cam? If I knew there was play in the cam then this would have made sense.
thanks JD!

sometimes numbers are put out there ...and its liike a stick in the spokes if you take it to seriously.
When I'm unsure about "end-play" I wiggle it and if it seems reasonable snug I say to myself, "That's about .020!" and move along. :smilie_happy: Works most of the time.
Maybe for you guys that know this stuff. Ya'll mechanics with years of experience know when to take #'s seriously and when not to. I reckon when adj. valves you get that # right on but maybe fudge on a torque # for certain things as in tight then 1/4 turn.....?
This stuff is like learning another language to me. I'm still at the vocabulary and grammar stage. English is our first language but we can have trouble with that one too. :yes:

thanks for your patience
I will be back :eek:k:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183173#p183173:1v81e3cd said:
Pony Ruiz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:45 pm[/url]":1v81e3cd]
don't skimp on the wiring

as in? :roll:

thanks.

Don't rely on crimp splices and electrical tape when making connections. Solder and heat shrink them instead. Wire nuts may work well in a dry environment, but the tank shelter isn't one of those.

I'm looking at the ignition plate with the wires coming out. It doesn't appear that the wires align with the hole in the cover unless they are bent.

Is this correct do you have to bend the wires to get them to come out the hole in the cover plate? the hole is not aligned?

the mark on the plate is where the hole in the cover would be.

first pic - move the plate to the right and bent the wires...
the second pic - i moved the ig. plate all the way to the left but to bend the wires in this position would put a not so nice kink in it. the wad of wires is stiff as it leaves the ig. unit.
last pic - out of the box.
thanks

Attachments

• PB020693.JPG
    PB020693.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 228
  • PB020694.JPG
    PB020694.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 232
  • PB020695.JPG
    PB020695.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 231
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183195#p183195:286pb4b7 said:
Pony Ruiz » November 2nd, 2016, 9:54 am[/url]":286pb4b7]
Maybe for you guys that know this stuff. Ya'll mechanics with years of experience know when to take #'s seriously and when not to. I reckon when adj. valves you get that # right on but maybe fudge on a torque # for certain things as in tight then 1/4 turn.....?
You have no idea the smile you put on my face this morning. I behave mechnically recklessly not because I know anything, but precisely because I DON'T know anything. Most times I get away with it, occasionally it bites me in the butt. Mostly, I'm lazy and impatient. :yes: