carb cleaning mistake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved89

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holiday greetings, Several weeks ago a friend who was junking some old bikes gave me a bucket of GL1100 carbs he had completely taken apart to clean. They were covered with varnish and some dried up carb dip he had tried. I decided to try a product I'd never used on carbs to see if it would work as I've had good results with it before. Its called Purple Power and its availible at most autoparts stores or Walmart. I diluted it with water, about 3 prts water to 1 part detergent and let the carbs sit for a week. When I looked at the bucket today the water had turned a dark grey so I fished out a carb body. All the varnish and dirt was gone but the carbs had turned a dark grey and it looks like the metal may have started to dissolve. I've since rinsed them out and they're soaking in water with baking soda. Maybe they can be salvaged. This one is going into my 'bad Idea" file. :head bang:

The carbs turning grey after sitting in the solution is from corrosion....the aluminum was starting to free corrode which is what turns it grey.

Years ago I put a carb into a carb solution and forgot about it (as it was a spare for a Bultaco Pursang I was racing at the time) Several months later I found the the bucker that I had put it into, but there was NO carb in it. Still havent found it, that was 23 years ago. Maybe it was so clean that it could not be seen. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: