CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT ON '83 ASPENCADE...(CLYMERS MANUAL IS WRONG?)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolson7560

Reaction score
I have an '83 Aspencade. I wanted to adjust the clutch so I pulled out the Clymers, turned to the clutch adjustment pages, read it through and went to the bike The Clymers tech manual clearly shows a clutch COVER that needs to be removed, then loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster screw in until it meets resistance, back it off 3/4 turn and lock it. Well....to my surprise there is NO clutch cover on my bike. My clutch doesn't have an access cover, and it appears as though the only adjustment that can be done is with the cable at both ends, (at the lever and lower at the engine). Has anyone adjusted the clutch on their '83 other than just adjusting the cable?

The Clymer manuals aren't all that accurate on a lot of stuff for the '81-'83 bikes. In fact, some of the photos used in the instructions are for 1000 engines...with the kick start....makes it quite confusing, for sure. :read:

I agree and I have a 1983 GL1100AD-and until modified for hydraulic clutch ( using 1984 GL1200 parts ) adjusted by cable only. Pre 83 engines had a removable cover that allowed clutch push-rod to be adjusted by means you describe. :hi:

I don't think yours is hydraulic, it's just that it only has the cable adjustment, top & bottom...nothing at the clutch itself(no cover). That's what I'm reading. The '84s went to the hydraulic set-up. :read:

Not if there is no clutch cover, I would assume.
On the bikes WITH the cover, you still have to remove the rear tire, swingarm, and clutch cover to change the clutch. If there is no removable cover, then the only way to do it is to remove the engine, and take the back cover off.
Unless I'm missing something....

That might help tremendously! I can't get a straight answer as to whether the engine needs to come out to change the clutch. Some say it does, and others say it doesn't and that it's really not that much of a job. I'd like to know for sure.