Cross fitting

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1200 motor I got was not the one pictured. I have transported it 500 miles and have one cylinder with 120psi, the rest at 150psi. Opinions, should I ask for the 1200 which was an 85 ltd with 150 compression on all four? I also liked the idea of the bigger stator and the extra fittings for coolant. I posted pics a few weeks ago. Ebay says I should get it covered. I bought it for $200, but it's not the motor they advertised. If the 120psi is a sticking ring, it's not a deal breaker, but if it's something else, I don't think this is wise. Anyone else care to opine, advise me? Shipping alone will be more than the motor, $250.

More then likely it is not a sticking ring, usually that will show on all cylinders, Bad valve perhaps..Yea, If you can get the better one probably would be a better deal but I suppose you need to huff it back. You might pull a cover and see if a valve on the offending cylinder is tight, might be a valve hanging up or miss adjusted.
Also look for a loose valve, that may indicate a slightly bent or stuck valve.

The 1200 motor I got was not the one pictured.

Bottom line, it is not the motor advertised! Seller should be held accountable by Ebay, ship you the correct motor and pay to have that one shipped back! A little dirt is one thing. Different engine is a whole different ball of wax.

I am waiting for a response from them. I will be pulling the heads anyway and my build plan is to use 1100 heads or 1000 heads. I just wanted the extra fitting and associated hoses that was included in the pic. I'm fairly sure it's a case of a breaker thinking a 1200 is a 1200 is a 1200. We exchanged it in a parking lot in the cold and the wind. I should have noticed it was different. He had more than one engine laying there, probably just took the easiest one to get.

The bigger stator would be worth the hassle. I got the water pump cover and thermostat housing with the extra coolant lines on eBay very cheap. The 1200 uses hydraulic valve adjusters, and if they're not fully pumped up, the valve won't open fully and compression will be low. I let my project engine sit for several months, and when I started it, one cylinder had very low compression. After it ran a bit with good oil pressure, all is well.

Also, if it's an '84 engine, there will be no mounts for the crankshaft pickup coil(s), just in case you need them.

Just ran home at lunch and re-did the compression allowing a few extra bumps. 150, 150, 160, 170 It's probably okay. I just wanted the other pieces, especially the coolant cover with the extra port.

Pretty sure the stators will interchange too if you ever need one. Maybe you can just get the seller to refund a % of the sale and move on.

Seller has agreed to send the other parts. Great guy to work with. He agreed to meet me in Minneapolis to save me some miles originally. Now if I was smart, b-i-i-i-i-ig if, I would have had it shipped for $250. Then I wouldn't have had to buy a $200 purse for the better half. I have learned though, that those purses are worth every penny!!

The compression is coming up, so you should be OK.

I've never had a problem with eBay, and I've been on there since '99.

I'm single, so I guess I just don't understand - $200 for a PURSE?!?! WTF is it made of, silver threads, with golden needles?!?! :shock: :smilie_happy:

Hey, $200 is worth it. I don't get it either, what a waste, but it's probably just what she thinks when I load a greasy old motor in the trunk. If I had learned this earlier maybe I wouldn't be remarried. To be honest, my wife pays her way very much.

I am fairly certain the stator is larger on the efi models. Can anyone confirm this? also will the case need to be switched with it? Probably the rotor as well?

its the magnets that are probably bigger eric but that is just a guess ....1000 stator fits right in a 1200 regular motor ... but the magnets are bigger .....i bet the FI model is the same way and case is bigger again making more power

Looks like it's an 87. Part numbers are different for both rotor(generator assembly, and the stator part. Not going to be an easy swap or exchange.

Latest posts