Custom seat sources?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dead_redwoods

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1000
I recently acquired a '77 nakedwing. Runs great, body is immaculate. Very happy with it for being my first ride.

I'm about 5'5", so reaching the ground is my only issue. Does anyone know a good source where I can get a lower profile seat that can get my feet down on the ground more easily?

The oldwings don't have the support from manufactuers that they once had. You could ask a local upholsterer to modify it for you, or even modify it yourself (heat gun to soften the cover, electric carving knife to cut the foam). The width is probably causing most of your issue. Shorter shocks can gain you some, also.

Also, set a watch on ebay for one and post in the Wanted section. Maybe someone bought a modified saddle and would like to sell/trade.

I'm 5'6" with 32" inseam, and I could flat-foot my stock 75' gl1000 in sneakers, see profile pic. Maybe a softer bucket seat from a GL1100 could be fitted? I can flat-foot the GL1100 as well, maybe I'm just weird, lol!

I'm 5'6" with 32" inseam, and I could flat-foot my stock 75' gl1000 in sneakers, see profile pic. Maybe a softer bucket seat from a GL1100 could be fitted? I can flat-foot the GL1100 as well, maybe I'm just weird, lol!
I'm 5' 11" with a 31 inseam and I can barley find the ground on my 83 with the damn running boards! I love em on the road but just HATE them when I have to stop. You can barley find the ground. lol

Can you post a side view of your bike? You said it is a 'naked' GL1000, but perhaps it has foot boards, or a custom seat that is causing issues for you? We are just guessing here without seeing what is actually on the bike itself. If you already have standard riding pegs and a stock seat which is pretty flat, lowering the suspension 1" or so at each end would be the only other modification left that I can think of.

gl1000.jpeg

Only standard pegs. The width of the seat is another issue. I'll probably mod the seat myself. I'm more DIY than go-and-buy.

There's a number of posts on this forum of people that did it themselves with pics and all.

There's a search function, don't know how great it works. At one time there was an 'advanced search' button that would use Google to search the site, it seemed to work a little better. I just don't remember what that search string looked like. Maybe @dan filipi would remember?