Dan's Mods to the Weber 32/32 dft and VW type 4 plenum

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
It's time now in my trials to start listing what modifications and jetting I've done to the Weber 32/32 dft and the type 4 VW plenum and why I've made these mods.

This is going to be long since there is a lot to explain as to why I've done what I've done.

I owe A LOT of credit to joedrum and the time we've spent chatting talking about the steps I've taken.

It's important to know that I'm running home made 1" runners with custom flanges for the shortest possible distance to the intake valve.
The reason this is important is because different size runners and configurations WILL affect the jetting to dial in this carb properly.

I don't expect others to make runners like I've done but I hope what I have done will help others mod in a single carb whether it is runners like mine or larger runners using the stock intake horns or other plenums.

Ok first, the power valve and an explanation of what it does and how it works.......

What the power valve does is enrichen the primary circuit (jetting) under engine load.
The control for this valve is based on manifold vacuum..... That is vacuum below the throttle plate.
Higher vacuum will close a small ball valve such as when cruising under part throttle and less throttle.
When the ball valve is closed, there is no "enrichment" taking place.

Under a load (accelerating) vacuum will drop below the throttle plate.
The lower vacuum will open the ball valve and enrichen the primary circuit.

How much does it enrichen?
Beats the heck outa me!
Therefore I disabled it by epoxy plugging it's passages.

Actually 4 reasons I disabled it?
1. How much it enrichens is an unknown variable for properly jetting the primary for the best air fuel mixture.
2. Interestingly the manifold vacuum on my bike is damn near or below the 3" of vacuum that this thing starts enrichening when cruising part throttle!
3. The ball valve was leaking past when at rest. This meant I had yet another unknown variable enrichening which was throwing off my jetting attempts and confusing things.
4. This in an EPA carb designed for lean burn idle. It was designed for a 1600 CC+ engine to meet requirements for that engine and it's related smog devices. To tune this carb I've since found taking this thing out of the picture is a great benefit for added simplicity and getting the jetting right.

Improvements I've noticed after disabling it......

1. After reving, rpm drops fast to idle like it should. With it working, drop to idle was much slower, almost like a anti-stall valve.
2. Engine breaking (coasting) has a much better feel.
3. My idle is steadier. When connected, idle would vary up and down in time with the drips that were leaking out of it. (Sheesh)

I found that after disabling it, it was running much too lean under power.
This made total sense, so on to the next step....Re-jetting for best burn and power.

I bumped the primary jet up from 1.07 to 1.15.
It still ran to lean but much better.

Next up, make the lean mix more efficient or...vaporize more of the un-vaporized mixture..... the raw gas that would be wasted otherwise.

How I did that was to add heat to the plenum.

This has proved to work magic!
Where I was too lean without heat, power is smooth and strong.

With the heat the plenum is warm to touch while cruising in 50 degree weather where unheated it would be nearly ice cold.
I plan to insulate the copper and heat plate just the way it is because my design has proven to be very effective.

What I'm doing next is lower the primary jet down to 1.10.
The ride test after will tell me what I do next, insulate the heat plate/plenum, or jet down to 1.05

Great progress is being made here! I really like the way your bike sounds with this setup, and the C5. It's gonna be awesome when you get it dialed in! Kudos! :clapping: :popcorn:

yep ...classic has paved the way again by doing it ... rather than blab about it not working sheesh ..it seems it took some time, none of us are overly rich ...but when compared to other attempts to produce good single set ups ....it was like instant ...I'm totally confident ....

The difference between the mother Honda stock setup and the weber set up is like a square wheel up against a round wheel ...the weber is simply what will be on my oldwings ....great work dan

So I went 2 steps down on primary jet from 1.15 to 1.05 and it's too lean.
Not sure if I should reduce the air jet from 175 to 170 or I should go up one to 1.10 on primary.

I tried 1.10 primary and still a bit too lean so I went back to 1.15 and it's running good.
This might be where I leave it, at least for now til I get some more riding in.

Well I think I'm done!

It runs great an accelerates smooth.
I would like a little smoother idle but I think that is just how it's going to be with a 2 barrel carb on the vw plenum.

I've been thinking about preheating the gas line but other than that and insulating I can't think of anything else it needs.

Back in the bad old days fuel lines were run close to the motor and fuel was heated that way. But it had a nasty habit of causing vapor lock.

I've often wondered if they ran the metal gas line close to the engine to heat it, or was that just the most secure direct route.

I'm going to solder 1/4" copper to the 1/2 and swirl it on the heat plate then insulate the entire bottom with spray insulation.
If it helps something, great. If not then it doesn't need to be connected.

Other than that, is there anything anyone would like to see tried? I'm open to suggestions.

Just go and ride it!!! :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102913#p102913:1omlrrxu said:
Ansimp » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 pm[/url]":1omlrrxu]
Just go and ride it!!! :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped: :moped:
Ok. I'll do that too.

I've got an idea to center the 2 barrel in the VW plenum to better feed all for outlets.
I don't know if it would help anything but when I get curious......

Right now I'm at 1.75 air jet and 1.15 primary jet.

I just got my air filter today which after installing it screwed up idle and secondary idle some, seems too lean.
I might have to go with 1.70 air jet but I need to test some more.

Will update where I end up.

Ok so the apparent lean condition went away after I started the bike a couple hours later.
I think what happened was the RTV I used to bond 2 metal plates together in the air filter kit was wet the first time I started it. Only thing I can figure is the strong gassyness coming off the wet RTV was causing some sort of reaction in the burn. That's my story.
It's running good once again with the filter on, no changes in jetting.

Ride report!

Today's ride was an all out hammer down push it to it's limits in stress kind of ride.

Heading out on the freeway, temps were in high 80's.
Hit first long grade, this is about a 5% grade.
Throttle about 1/2 bore to hold 70-75 mph with a strong head wind.

Second grade, 60 degrees and 4% with stronger head winds. 1/2 bore or so.

It performed flawless, never skipping a beat and humming along happy.

Stopped for a break.

Return trip was my main test grade.
This is a bit of a winding 5 mile 6% grade I've run many times for comparisons because it's a real good stress test and no highway patrol.
THIS is the real deal test, not rev's in the garage or some cute girl batting her eye's.

image.php

Camera doesn't catch the grade but it's there or I wouldn't have taken the picture.

Temps in the low 80's.

Hard run now to see what the secondary can do.
First bit, about 1/2 mile running at 75 to map the traffic,
all clear and gradual opening to the secondary kicking in,
acceleration small then the transition into the secondary and feel the pull forward and watch as the speedo get's to 85 then 90 as I'm dodging traffic. Had to let up at 90 because these knucklehead drivers here do stupid things but she ran flawless all the way up the grade at 80-85 then 70-85 all the way home.

It never once pinged, spit, popped, surged or stumbled in any way.
This was a very hard ride for both me and the bike and not the way I usually ride but it sure was fun!

131 miles it got 34 mpg.
Lower to be expected because we all know with full fairing and tall shield, 70 mph and above these bikes are like a sheet of plywood going down the road and really suck the gas down. Factor in the strong winds and grades and it did very well.
Stock rack has gotten similar numbers.

It was also a good test for the Taiwan $25 head gaskets I used.

I know that bit of road and there is certainly plenty wind around and a good gradient, I think when I road it the temp was 100f plus....

My next test ride will be maybe this sunday on my mpg test route for comparison.

That run is getting old.
The only good part of it is stopping at Steve's place to see how his projects are coming along.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102997#p102997:3abgkjza said:
Ansimp » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 pm[/url]":3abgkjza]
Say G'day to Steve for me when you stop by...
Will do.